Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Dodge Avenger spied

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 12:28 PM
shiltz
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dodge Avenger spied

ORIGINAL: 97 3.5 Intrepid

It will probably be the same as the Sebring's powertrain. http://www.chrysler.com/en/sebring/f...ifications.pdf The sad thing is they have the 2.7L listed as a 12 valve and this is the offical site. I'll tell you these sites have such clutz editing them.

Although this source is hardly offical or completely reliable, wikipedia seems to think that the Avenger and Sebring will have an SRT version. They didn't say whether it would be an SRT-4 or SRT-6. What do you think?
I hope the Avenger doesn't also get the neutered version of the 3.5L the Sebring is getting with only 235hp/232lb.-ft and get's the full 250hp/250lb.-ft version.

I would imagine it would be an SRT-6, I couldn't see them going back down to 4 cylinders for the SRT, it probably would have a tuned or super/turbo version of the 3.5L for the SRT, I remember a few years back they had a concept 300M with a 300hp tuned 3.5L so they can get it up at least into that range without forced induction.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:37 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually they never had a 300 hp tuned 3.5L. The most the 3.5L has ever offered stock was 255hp & 258 ft-lbs of tq in the 300M
Special. Here is a link that proves this. http://www.edmunds.com/used/2004/chr...98/review.html

I agree with you that it should have the highest output version available. I don't know if they are going to invest the money and resources into an engine line they are going to be retiring in less than ten years. If they do this they will need to beef up the engine because they have never turboed or supercharged this engine. I'm wondering if they intend to use the supercharged Mercedes 3.2L found in the Crossfire.

If they do offer an SRT they will either have to offer it standard with a manual transmission or an all wheel drive system with a stonger transmission. The 2 in the 62TE represents the level of strength the transmission has. The 2 level transmission have never had anything higher than 258 ft-lbs put in front of them. Back when the 5.2L was used in the truck series, they used a 4 level transmission with it and it produced 300 ft-lbs of tq.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:56 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I agree with you that it should have the highest output version available. I don't know if they are going to invest the money and resources into an engine line they are going to be retiring in less than ten years. If they do this they will need to beef up the engine because they have never turboed or supercharged this engine. I'm wondering if they intend to use the supercharged Mercedes 3.2L found in the Crossfire.

If they do offer an SRT they will either have to offer it standard with a manual transmission or an all wheel drive system with a stonger transmission. The 2 in the 62TE represents the level of strength the transmission has. The 2 level transmission have never had anything higher than 258 ft-lbs put in front of them. Back when the 5.2L was used in the truck series, they used a 4 level transmission with it and it produced 300 ft-lbs of tq.
They wont be offering the Mercedes 3.2L in any Stratus model vehicle. For one, it's an expensive motor. Two, the Crossfire is selling **** poorly to begin with....and will probably see itself discontinued shortly....

I also agree that if they are going to consider the 3.5L, it should be given the full power of the motor. 255-260hp is not overboard, and would it put it on a more level playing field with the rest of its class of automobile.

Consider this....the current 2006 Stratus R/T sedan only produces 200hp & 190ftlbs of torque....and is at the very bottom of its class in both categories....now look at the 06 Lineup that its compared too.........

2006 Malibu SS 3.9L V6
240 hp @ 5800 rpm - 241 ft-lbs. @ 2800 rpm

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 3.3L V6
235 hp @ 6000 rpm - 226 ft-lbs. @ 3500 rpm

2006 Honda Accord EX 3.0L V6
244 hp @ 6244 rpm - 211 ft-lbs. @ 5000 rpm

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 3.9L V6
240 hp @ 5800 rpm - 241 ft-lbs. @ 2800 rpm

Now, if all they're going to give the Avenger sedan is that neutered version 3.5L for 07....all your going to get is 235hp/232lb.-ft ......they'd still be at the very back in the hp......We all know lots of people are motivated by HP numbers....especially since that Honda is doing a great job with a 3.0L....and both the G6 and Malibu are using 3.9L's.

I dont see any reason why they couldnt give the full powered 3.5L to the R/T or SRT model version....

Old 09-06-2006, 04:13 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

We are on the same page about using the neutered version would put them in the back. If they want to be considered seriously, they need to use maximum output. I personally would like to see the 4.0L used in this car. The chances are probably low, but it would be nice to be able to have bragging rights over having the most tq in class.

Your right that hp numbers sell. They need to remember what the R/T badge means. It means top level performance, not a slightly fancier ES. The Fusion is proof of what happens when you don't put out a serious competitor in the engine department. The Altima is proof of how much people value top performance.

That is a good point DevilsReject. If they offer a SRT, which engine do you think it will be with what mods?

Old 09-06-2006, 04:25 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

We are on the same page about using the neutered version would put them in the back. If they want to be considered seriously, they need to use maximum output. I personally would like to see the 4.0L used in this car. The chances are probably low, but it would be nice to be able to have bragging rights over having the most tq in class.

Your right that hp numbers sell. They need to remember what the R/T badge means. It means top level performance, not a slightly fancier ES. The Fusion is proof of what happens when you don't put out a serious competitor in the engine department. The Altima is proof of how much people value top performance.

That is a good point DevilsReject. If they offer a SRT, which engine do you think it will be with what mods?
The Altima's with the 3.5L is an awesome ride. I had one as a rental when my car was in the shop. It was great to drive and I would buy one if I wanted a 4dr sedan.....

Number's do sell....and the R/T badge has been as big a joke for Dodge as the SS badge has been with Chevy for years.....excluding the Camaro of course....that's starting to change again....but its all about perception....

As for what model engine do I think will be used? I personally dont think we'll see an SRT model in the Avenger...but we'll definitely get the neutered 3.5L as an R/T. The reason I dont feel there will be a SRT model....is mostly because I cant see them using the 2.4L Turbo from the Caliber....as it would compete with its sales.....and they wouldnt want to cut into the Charger sales.......so I think at most you see a fully powered 3.5L as the R/T model....

Old 09-06-2006, 04:40 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

All I know, is I want one!! will they have AWD?

Old 09-06-2006, 05:41 PM
shiltz
Captain

Actually they never had a 300 hp tuned 3.5L. The most the 3.5L has ever offered stock was 255hp & 258 ft-lbs of tq in the 300M
Special. Here is a link that proves this. http://www.edmunds.com/used/2004/chr...98/review.html
I never said production engine, I said it was in a concept version of the 300M that didn't actualy make it to production, actualy I belive it was the concept of the 300M special that had it, the production one was dropped back down to 255 though.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:23 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

The Altima's with the 3.5L is an awesome ride. I had one as a rental when my car was in the shop. It was great to drive and I would buy one if I wanted a 4dr sedan.....

Number's do sell....and the R/T badge has been as big a joke for Dodge as the SS badge has been with Chevy for years.....excluding the Camaro of course....that's starting to change again....but its all about perception....

As for what model engine do I think will be used? I personally dont think we'll see an SRT model in the Avenger...but we'll definitely get the neutered 3.5L as an R/T. The reason I dont feel there will be a SRT model....is mostly because I cant see them using the 2.4L Turbo from the Caliber....as it would compete with its sales.....and they wouldnt want to cut into the Charger sales.......so I think at most you see a fully powered 3.5L as the R/T model....
The only thing about that picture that gives me hope is the fact that the Avenger is shown to have dual exhaust. The Charger doesn't have dual exhaust. The only car powered by the 3.5L that had dual exhaust was the 300M Special. Maybe they will give the Avenger the higher output version because Dodge is supposed to be about performance and doesn't have to be concerned about the noise of the engine damaging a luxury image as Chrysler does. Is the Sebring supposed to have dual exhaust.

Why would they be afraid of taking sales away from the Caliber? The Avenger is going to be a more expensive car in the first place, I'd think they would want to make the Avenger more competitive with its class.

Your right about the Altima 3.5L being an awesome ride. My aunt has one and I love it. If Dodge could try to benchmark the Avenger to the Altima, then I think they could have a serious contender.

I wouldn't be worried about the Avenger taking sales away from the Charger. The Charger appeals to a particular crowd (RWD large American car fans), whereas the Avenger appeals to a different crowd (FWD mid-sized Japanese car fans).

Old 09-06-2006, 07:26 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: shiltz

I never said production engine, I said it was in a concept version of the 300M that didn't actualy make it to production, actualy I belive it was the concept of the 300M special that had it, the production one was dropped back down to 255 though.
Oops! My bad!

Do you know why this wasn't a production engine? I thought I heard that the transmission couldn't handle it. If they would offer this, they could run into one problem. It would have quite a bit of torque steer. The only solution I can think of is if they had an all-wheel drive system.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:57 PM
shiltz
Captain

I never heard an actual reason why they didn't produce it, and I would imagine the torque steer wouldn't be to bad, no worse than a 300hp FWD Caliber which they are making.

Quick Reply: Dodge Avenger spied