Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Dodge Demon Concept - Geneva Debut

Old 02-12-2007, 05:38 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dodge Demon Concept - Geneva Debut

ORIGINAL: mopar5949

JOHNDCJR, You are a MORON! The name of this and every other car in the DCX lineup mean nothing. If you can't get over it, take off the name badge, slap the letters P-U-T-Z on the back and let everyone know what an idiot you are! This is one smart looking car that should sell well and bring some fire back into the Dodge showroom! Love the thing for what it is and shut your mouth! Like my father used to tell me, "It's better to remain silent and have folks think you a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"
First of all, I'd like to remind you that being a rude *** gets you nowhere, not to mention will get you singled out more often then not.

Secondly, the name DOES matter to people who actually buy the car. It's not just a name, it's a heritage. This car doesnt even resemble anything like what the Demon stood for.....and that's the problem. The only issue with the Charger really was the 4dr sedan bit, but at least it has a powerhouse motor and is very respectable in performance. This car is nothing but a Miata/Solstice clone and I know alot of die hard fans, myself included, who are disappointed in seeing a classic name slapped on something to help sell cars.

There's a reason using a classic name doesnt always work - ala the Charger in the 80's....the 4cyl hatchback.....which was a flop and ultimately hurt sales.

I'm not saying this hurts Dodge, but this is possibly a bad name on a good car...and so long as Dodge adds a performance package to it....and makes it make people go WOW....it should be alright.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:50 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

i dont mean to sound liek a dick or anything but a car this cheap with these looks a manual and decent performance will appeal to my generation of buyers. my generation knows and respects old cars, but a nbame from a car from a time before we were born that we have probably never actually seen wont stop anyone from buying it. i didnt even know there was a demon and i liek the name it sounds sick. if they fix the crappy *** seats i would even consider buying one.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I uhmm... REALLY like it.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:52 PM
clean_sx
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: nickoman01

i didnt even know there was a demon and i liek the name it sounds sick.
they changed the demon name to dart i belive

Old 02-12-2007, 07:02 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

I like this concept A LOT...plus I think Dodge needs something like this to compete with the S2000, Solstice/Sky, 350Z, etc...

Old 02-12-2007, 07:24 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the original dodge demon was in 1971...amanda and i got one in september..ours is a 72 with a 71 grille. it was the budget mustang fighter from dodge, and with 275hp, they kept up with all but the big block mustangs, and they were competitive with the 71 camaro SS with a big block. it was called the dodge demon in 71 and 72, but they were heavily protested by religious groups for "supporting the praise of the devil"...so in 73, they changed it to the dart sport, and some of the appearance stuff changed.

this car, although quite a bit different, could embody what the original demon was..cheap speed.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mopar5949

JOHNDCJR, You are a MORON! The name of this and every other car in the DCX lineup mean nothing. If you can't get over it, take off the name badge, slap the letters P-U-T-Z on the back and let everyone know what an idiot you are! This is one smart looking car that should sell well and bring some fire back into the Dodge showroom! Love the thing for what it is and shut your mouth! Like my father used to tell me, "It's better to remain silent and have folks think you a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"
actually name does count for something. would you have been upset if they made the new challenger look like this? im guessing you would. its no different than the people who dont like the new charger becaue its 4 doors instead of 2, but atleast the charger does have some very similiar lines to the original models, and it still comes with a v8 engine in it, and as devilsreject said, puts out some fairly respectable performance numbers. what if chevrolet decided to make a tiny 4 cylinder sports car, even one that had some power and performance to it, and slap a camaro badge on it? it wouldnt be the same because its not the heritage of the car. i dont think this being called the demon will be as big of a deal as the challenger or camaro examples i used because the demon for the most part wasnt as loved as the challenger or camaro. im sure there will be others out there like me who like the car, but wish they had used a different name for it, because when i think of a demon,a little 4 cylinder roadster isnt what i have in mind.

and you might want to consider taking your fathers advice by the way...

Old 02-12-2007, 08:42 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the styling of this better than the Razor. I wish they would offer a V6 option, but of course if they did offer a V6 I’d probably want a V8 (I'm not a fan of I4 engines). The problem with the latter idea is it would threaten the Viper and Challenger sales.

As Patrick said the original Demon offered cheap performance and this pretty much would fulfill that name. Yes it doesn’t have a rear seat nor a V8, but times have changed. A big-block used to be very common in muscle cars, pony cars, and sports cars, and small blocks were offered in just about everything, but now days, small-blocks have taken over the big-block’s role and V6s and even I4s have taken over the role of small-blocks. I think the early 90s Duster package on the Plymouth Sundance was a bigger insult to its name than this Demon is to the classic name. At least this has hp in the neighborhood of the classic model.

However, I thinkthat for the segment that this car is aimed for, this classic name will mean nothing since the audience who remembers this name are not interested in a Miata competitor. I’m glad they are going to offer a car in this segment. I think that they should use a different name though for two reasons. 1. This name was dropped because some found it offensive and it might steer some people away from the car for the exact same reason as the original. 2. The name doesn’t match this segment. It has the sound of a muscle car name not a high tech sounding name which you have no clue what they are referring to (Miata, Solstice). I think the Razor name should be used if they can use it since the Razor name has a positive style association with it. I don't think people will refuse to buy the car because of the name, but I don't think it will bring in extra customers as they think it will.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:24 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

I like the car, but Im starting to be swayed by those who dont like the name demon for this. Razor will work just fine. That aside, this makes for the proper bodystyle for the SRT-4 powerplant to be stuffed into. The caliber looks cool for what it is, but isnt going to grab the eye of the guy looking for an affordable, potent sports car anymore than the neon. This is what an attainable roadster should be. Style-wise, I like it almost as much as the Solstice. I hate copycatting, but what this car needs is those 2 speed humps on the trunk. Thats what I like about the GM roadsters.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 97 3.5 Intrepid

I think that they should use a different name though for two reasons. 1. This name was dropped because some found it offensive and it might steer some people away from the car for the exact same reason as the original. 2. The name doesn’t match this segment. It has the sound of a muscle car name not a high tech sounding name which you have no clue what they are referring to (Miata, Solstice). I think the Razor name should be used if they can use it since the Razor name has a positive style association with it.
i agree with the second reason about the demon name not sounding high tech enough, but times have changed alot and i dont think many people will have a problem with the demon name nowadays. then again i could be wrong.

despite the name, i still love the car. im gonna try and talk my dad into buyin one. as he gets older, and has more money available, he keeps talkin about buyin a weekend driver car, just to cruise around in for fun, and a demon srt4 would be pretty sweet to have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge Demon Concept - Geneva Debut