Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Who wants to buy Chrysler group?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 04:50 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who wants to buy Chrysler group?

ORIGINAL: Dartman69

As well, it looks as though product planning within Chrysler group is starting to mirror what was going on during the waning days of Plymouth. There are too many "clone" vehicles appearing accross the different brands. Why do we need both a Jeep AND a Dodge version of all the new vehicles being released? In many cases, one brand is leeching off sales from the other. Before we know it, they'll want to discontinue Jeep too just like they did withPlymouth! The various brands should focus directly on making vehicles that fit their brand image. Why in the world Jeep needs it's own version uglified versionof the Caliber is a complete mystery to me.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've said similar things in the past....and not just about Dodge/Chrysler. Its happening at all 3 of the Big 3. GM does it, Ford does it, and now it seems DC has got on board too. It's getting tacky and stupid.

Why would you build virtually identical cars and sell them? That makes no sense to me whatsoever. Go look at the Dodge/Chrysler lineup.....they practically mirror one another.....same applies for GM....and Ford....

While most of the foreign automakers do this as well, their vehicles tend to be a tad bit more different and more upscale then their clone counterpart. The only difference in most of the Big 3 clones is a name and maybe some upholstery.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:48 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

ORIGINAL: Dartman69

...What DCX really needs now is for someone to go into theiradministrative offices with a big corporate vacuum cleaner and suck up all the greedy, stagnant management. Then, with a proper team in place (one that wants to actually improve the company instead of making themselves temporarily rich) DCX could flourish and rise above all other competitors.
Damn straight! A lot of american companies need this corp vac service

Old 02-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

GM - http://www.forbes.com/topstories/hom...markets10.html

ORIGINAL: SHAPman

Nobody. Why? Who on earth would want a big piece of steaming crap.
Give me a break. Sometimes you go to far with your hate for the company you work for. We're no where near the "big pile of steaming crap" of the auto industry...

Old 02-16-2007, 05:56 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) — General Motors (GM) and DaimlerChrysler (DCX) declined to comment Friday on a report that GM is in talks to buy Chrysler group in its entirety.[/align]A source familiar with the situation told Reuters on Friday that GM is in preliminary talks to buy the Chrysler Group.
The news was earlier reported by Automotive News, which cited unnamed sources in Germany and the United States that high-level talks were talking place between GM and Chrysler Group parent DaimlerChrysler.
The source who spoke to Reuters, however, said it is questionable whether GM would want Chrysler's finance business, having recently sold its own finance arm.
"We have said everything there is to say on this subject," a DaimlerChrysler spokesman said about the Automotive News report. The world's fifth-biggest carmaker said Wednesday it is considering all its options for loss-making Chrysler but would not give any more details.
The potential deal between the two automakers could go beyond cooperation on joint development of a large sport-utility vehicle, the magazine said.
Other reports discussed the talks about a possible alliance related to large SUVs.
The Wall Street Journal, citing people familiar with the matter that it didn't name, said the automakers had preliminary discussions to jointly develop a large SUV such as the Chevrolet Suburban, which Chrysler doesn't have in its lineup.
The New York Times, citing people with direct knowledge of the talks that it didn't name, said the companies are holding discussions about a project that would provide Chrysler with a version of the Chevrolet Tahoe large SUV.
GM and Chrysler also are looking at sharing small cars developed by GM Daewoo Auto & Technology, a unit of GM in South Korea that builds the Chevrolet Aveo compact car for GM, the Journal reported.
The automakers have declined to comment.
Chrysler already has alliances with GM, including one to develop gasoline-electric hybrid engine technology.
Last year, GM was in talks with Nissan and Renault about an automaking alliance, but those were called off in October. Those talks have nothing to do with the Chrysler talks, the Times reported.
DaimlerChrysler said Wednesday in announcing its restructuring that it is exploring all options for Chrysler, including strategic partners. DaimlerChrysler Chairman Dieter Zetsche would not rule out selling the troubled U.S. operation.
On Thursday, Chrysler Chief Executive Tom LaSorda told the Journal in an interview that he hopes uncertainty about whether Chrysler will remain part of the German automaker is resolved "sooner rather than later."
As part of the restructuring, Chrysler plans to eliminate 13,000 jobs, including 11,000 production jobs and 2,000 white-collar jobs, as it seeks to cut costs and return to profitability in 2008.
[/align]From the 'net.[/align][/align]Dusty[/align]

Old 02-16-2007, 06:55 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

i think mercedes will keep chrysler. deiter said what he said to buy time and get the germans ******** off his back for a little while. also while doing that he made everyone billions in the stock market. it wasnt that bad of a desision to say all options are beign considered.

i am intrigued about gm and chrysler. i mean it wouldnt work out becaquse they ahve models that compete direectly, but we both has our own technologies the other can benifit from and it would cause one huge american superpower which be would awesome as we all sit down with some popcorn and finish watching ford go back to hell.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:48 PM
vnv727

mhmm i dont know, i mean on one hand if gm gets chrysler wed have a good replacement for the neon finally....but i think chrysler needs to stop making the same car 3 different way with slightly different interiors and a few new body panels as a number of members have already said

Old 02-16-2007, 08:10 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

While GM buying the Chrysler Group would be one for the books, I dont see how its possible. GM and Chrysler have way too many overlapping models and a lot of stuff would have to be cut, which would be more jobs lost in the long run. Its kind of cool to think about having a massive U.S owned automotive company that could dominate the industry just by its sheer size and massive resources...but i just dont think its financially, logistically, or realistically possible for such a "merger" to take place.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:57 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Midnight

GM - http://www.forbes.com/topstories/hom...markets10.html

ORIGINAL: SHAPman

Nobody. Why? Who on earth would want a big piece of steaming crap.
Give me a break. Sometimes you go to far with your hate for the company you work for. We're no where near the "big pile of steaming crap" of the auto industry...
Please right now we are a big turd. The only bigger turd now is ford. Nobody wants a loser. We build a lot of things nobody wants. The GM thought is interesting though. I don't see much in it for gm though. Huge benefits for chrysler in that though. I know more about chrysler than most of you do. We are going nowhere fast as managements answer is to cut our way to the top. I don't hate chrysler, I just know the real chrysler.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:20 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The group with the most 'clout' to buy Chrysler
is the UAW and CAW.
With some relatively painless concessions on health care & wages
the union could set up a deal where they get control.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:00 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm...GM buying Chrysler? There are things about this that I like, namely that the person who made some of the best looking Chrysler products would be incharge (Lutz). Chrysler needs a trueeconomy car to compete against the Japanese for the Neon fans. Chrysler would finally be free of that arrogant group of Germans who don't know what the H#!! they are doing.

Then there are things that disturb me.

Chrysler's most recent problem hasn't been from a lack of SUV options, it has been from making too many. Athough I would love to see Jeep get a true full-sized SUV again, I don't want to see Jeep go through what has happened to Hummer (rebadging Chevy's with no true off-roading purposes). I would not object to Dodge getting a very low production full-sized SUV as long as it had Chrysler powertrains. Chrysler doesn't need to be an SUV division if you ask me.

Chrysler already has a competitor in the Tahoe department called the Durango/Aspen, they don't need a another.

As much as I want Chrysler to have an economy car again, I don't want it to be just a rebadged Daewoo ( on the other hand at least it wouldn't be a Chery).

I'm afraid that if a buyout would happen, Chrysler's engines and transmissions would be scrapped in favor of GM's designs. That would be a big mistake. Although much of GM's offerings are more powerful, Chrysler's engine just need a tech update. If the 3.3L/3.8L was given the technology that the HV engines have been given, I believe the Chrysler engines would actually be more powerful than the HV (and five times more reliable).

I know GM loves their new HF engine, but the problem is it takes too much technology to get decent hp. The HF engine needs VVT, a .3 higher compression ratio, and 100 more CCs just to match what Chrysler did back in 1999 with the 3.5L. If GM is smart enough to figure this out, they would add VVT and Direct Injection to the Chrysler 3.5L and either keep Chrysler V6s separate from GMs or if they must all use the same engine, use Chrysler’s V6s.

I believe they would keep the HEMI with no arguments since GM supposively once offered Chrysler a blank check for the rights to the HEMI name plate and technology. They know how valuable it is. I just hope they would still keep their V8s separate as well.

The I4s I couldn’t care less about. If they would scrape the Hyundai-based I4s in favor of the Ecotech, that would be just fine with me. I would hate to see Chrysler’s 545RFE (or whatever is replacing it), 68RFE, and 62TE be scrapped in favor of GM counterparts (the 4-speeds need to be scraped anyways and replaced with 6-speeds). I’ve had the worst experiences with GM transmissions than anyone else’s transmissions.

GM could use Chrysler though. With all the divisions that GM has, they don’t have one that has the image to be able to correctly compete against Toyota or Honda. Chevrolet will always be considered too cheap to consider for most, Saturn’s image also is too cheap and isn’t recognized well enough, Pontiac is about performance not about refinement or technology, Buick could do it but they would need a generation or two of their product line-up to be dramatically changed so then they could shed the senior citizen image.

Chrysler has the image that could compete against those two (since that is what they have been doing for the last two generations). Dodge offers something that Pontiac doesn’t, a bit of refinement and higher tech image with performance. Pontiac for years has been about brutal performance, while Dodge has been more about higher tech performance and a focus on comfort. Dodge would be an excellent competitor against Nissan and possibly some of the European performance divisions.

Quick Reply: Who wants to buy Chrysler group?