Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Pulling 5th wheel with Rambox option.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 04:42 PM
jimmythepizza
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling 5th wheel with Rambox option.

I'm wondering what solutions(actually tried!) are proven for towing a 5th wheel with the Rambox. My dealer is in the dark as is the local hitch company. The RV manufacture "thinks" a gooseneck conversion is my best bet. I checked some of the hitch conversions out online but am concerned that the trailer front will be up too high putting the rig out of correct balance front to rear.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:19 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Most "conversions" I've seen are adjustable, I don't know how the trailer would be any higher in the front. A gooseneck isn't going to do anything for fitment.

You would really need to get a slider hitch, as the RamBox is only available on short beds. Other than that, I haven't heard of any issues, if the hitch fits between the wheelhouses in a standard bed, I don't see any problem with it sitting in a RamBox.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:26 PM
jimmythepizza

You don't see the problem Scatpack. The rear of the pin box(the part on the rv where the king pin is) is fairly long and will encounter the side rails of the Rambox when in a sharp turn. Some have had this trouble just adding the rails for a tonneau cover. The Rambox narrows the width of the bed to 50 inches. Some release handles for 5th wheel hitches extend out over the wheel wells and wouldn't fit the narrow space of the Rambox. A slider hitch only gains me clearance at the cab which isn't a problem.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:30 PM
(texas-ram)325HP
Veteran

I have a conversion done on my 5th wheel camper and works great. I do not have ram boxes but i haven't had any problems with it.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:16 PM
jimmythepizza

Just talked to the dealership again. Not feelin the love. He says they're not gonna leave me hanging but... no solutions yet. Meanwhile, back at the ranch I'm making payments on a $65k truck that won't do what I bought it for. Buyer BEWARE! The Rambox option won't work for a 5th wheel trailer and your salesman probably doesn't know that. Seems someone way up the food chain at Ram thinks it's better to sell all the options they CAN rather than the options that WORK.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:02 PM
jimmythepizza

Ok, looks like we have a solution in trading out the pin box on the trailer and installing a Reese Sidewinder pin box. Checked with my trailer's frame manufacturer and learned a goose neck conversion would have voided the warranty. The only conversion that won't is the Reese GooseBox , but they didn't think that it would work with the Rambox either. The Sidewinder won't work with all hitches so check carefully for compatibility.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:57 PM
hemi4109
Veteran

Looking at my pin box, I need about 30" of length to clear the bed rails if jacknifed. If you only have 50" between the rambox sides then you woud hit for sure. Now realistically you're never more than 60d at the most and at that point it would still fit. But I certainly wouldn't want to take that chance if you're stuck in traffic of blocked by idiots at the gas station and need to make a sharp turn. I'm guessing every trailer will be a little different and Dodge just has to put that warning on there like they do with any short bed 5th hauling eventhough most newer trailers have a front to remedy that. If the dealership really wants to help, you can always mock up fake rails to the correct specs with cardboard in the back of a regular bed and see if your trailer box would hit them or not. Really the ony way to find out for sure without putting a hitch the bed of a rambox truck.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:29 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Have you looked into a B & W hitch set up? I do not have the ram box. However I do have a dog box. The dog box sticks above the bed rail 3". Full turn (like making a u-turn). I still have 4" inchs, from the top of the box to the bottom of the rv.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:44 PM
hemi4109
Veteran

I don't know if the OP is still on here but I wonder what is the shortest pinbox you can buy? Might even have to get an older used model. They used to have them pretty much straight down when everyone had 8' beds but seems like the average pinbox is about 30-36" long or more these days so it'll never work with the narrow bed with Rambox rails at full turn. I realize the back end of the pinbox angles up a but but there are lots of posts online of people trimming the back side or the pinbox so it doesn't hit inside the bed of the truck at full turn at that's without Rambox. Probably the biggest issue begins when the dealers don't understand the problem and think you're talking about vertical rail clearance or cab clearance with a shortbox. Surely there has to be a short pinbox somewhere.

Quick Reply: Pulling 5th wheel with Rambox option.