Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Whats with all the automatics?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 02:05 AM
cobradriver
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats with all the automatics?

As I have been searching for my next and maybe last truck I have learned of a disturbing fact....by my estimates 90% of the trucks I have found and seen are automatics. What is that all about? Since when is a "Mans Truck" cool when it's automatic?

I might make some folks upset, don't mean to, just an old guy out of the times I guess. I remember a time where every guy wanted a stick "anything" From the SS to the Goat, and any sort of truck was only a truck if it was a stick. Automatics were left for the girlfriends and the wives.

Oh well, "For the times they are a-changin"

Old 03-11-2014, 10:53 PM
cobradriver
Amateur

OK after a full day of searching Craigslist within 500 miles from my location and reviewing hundreds of vehicles...I found 2!!!!!!! with a stick and they were work trucks beat to ****.

So as a public service I will confidently update my 90% supposition/guesstimate to 99.5%

Very sad indeed

Old 03-16-2014, 12:56 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello again. Once again, please do not post in the general Dodge Ram section. Please post in the correct sub-section. We have several, one for each "generation" of Ram, and then a separate one for the diesel trucks.

If you are confused by what I mean, please read this thread:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ead-first.html

I will move your thread to the diesel area, since that is where your last one went. If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a private message here on the forum.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:46 AM
sumone

Blame it on the cowboys................Back in the day, the american Indian rode bare back in a loin cloth. Along comes the cowboy, who thinks he needs pants, boots and something soft to sit on.

Maybe straight drives are so rare nobodies letting go (used). I haven't looked for anything new, somehow 70k doesn't trip my trigger.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:45 AM
tincan57
Captain

I couldn't sleep without speaking my mind (tried). I appreciate anyone who has choices in any matter. I would like to say without making anyone feel bad in any way that there are those who do not have choices, no matter the offering of automatic or straight drive. I lost my leg above the knee 20 years ago in a highway accident while off work (not military related). I drive an automatic out of necessity, (but feel privileged I can). I do not feel I'm any less of a man, nor should anyone else who must drive an automatic because of a disability (military or civilian).

Several years ago, I lost feeling in my remaining foot for a year due to nerve damage from swelling on the left one. When I began taking Nueroten I started regaining the ability to feel the left foot and could fully drive once again (this could be why I have more Dodges than necessary).

I just thought I'd give my 2 cents worth, so I could get some sleep.......................... Carry on. K.

Last edited by tincan57; 03-16-2014 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Fumbled fingered
Old 03-16-2014, 10:12 AM
pavement_hater
Veteran

Whats an automatic? I don't own one. lol And for the record my wife probably drives a manual trans better than most people. And she refuses to buy automatics. So automatics aren't just for girlfriends and wives.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:37 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You can't text on your smartphone, eat a cheeseburger, play with satellite radio, the DVD player and drink a beer while that dang stick is in the way...COME ON !!!!

(sarcasm)

Old 03-17-2014, 12:11 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

both my S10 and my ram are hand shakers.

GF's car is also a hand shaker. she doesn't like automatics either.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:18 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Automatics are not for me, thier are no full size gas full size trucks were you can roll your on gears.

My 06 ram is probably the last truck I will buy due to the 6sp and hemi combo, for traction and all season control, automatics dont do the job.

Detroit is too focused on the up sell to offer manuals..ctd with a 6sp man is over kill.. 6sp

Old 03-19-2014, 11:39 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasonw
Hello again. Once again, please do not post in the general Dodge Ram section. Please post in the correct sub-section. We have several, one for each "generation" of Ram, and then a separate one for the diesel trucks.

If you are confused by what I mean, please read this thread:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ead-first.html

I will move your thread to the diesel area, since that is where your last one went. If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a private message here on the forum.
think you're a little obsessive about moving posts...especially when some of them like this one, have NOTHING to do with diesels...

Quick Reply: Whats with all the automatics?