Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New to Diesel world

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Dtruck96
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Diesel world

Hello everyone. After a couple of years of playing around with cars I am back here on the truck pages. Although I have owned every gas version of our trucks from slant 6 to v10 this is my first time with a diesel. Just picked up a 2014 2500 4x4 with the 6.7. I am waiting on delivery which should be end of this week ( I hope). I will update with pics as soon as she shows up. So in the mean time, looking for some education. What things should be on the top of the list as far as mods, or what should I stay away from? Thanks everyone in advance.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:06 PM
tincan57
Captain

Congrats.................You might want to review your warranty and then define, "what mods you can do", while under warranty. I'm not sure how everyone dances around deletes these days K.

There's a Sticky on this board for mods & your warranty...............

Last edited by tincan57; 04-03-2014 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Deletes/sticky ^
Old 04-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure they have a DEF system delete yet? or even a tuner yet for DEF equipped trucks...

I do know there have been some problems with the new DEF systems, and one mod that would be first on my list is getting a gas cap for it!

the newest rams do not come with gas caps...just a spring loaded push flap covering the tank fill hole.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:02 PM
horatio102
Champion

Deletes are much harder to get away with. H&S was apparently slapped with a $92 million dollar fine (being contested) and Edge was likewise pimp-slapped by the EPA.

Honestly, I'd drive it hard and don't let things get gummed up. Change your oil often, keep an eye on oil level (it may gain "oil" which is actually fuel). Load it down and flog it every now and then.

If it's an electric shift transfer case, shift it through the positions at least once a month.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Jigabop
Champion

guess you haven't seen the DEF problems lol...

They have been getting white milky substances in the DEF tanks (either water or fuel getting in there) and it causes CEL and limp mode apparently.

then dealership blames the owner claiming the owner put diesel in the def tank when no such thing happened, and try to void the warranty. I've seen reports of this more than once now. I will stick to my old school 24v when my truck dies, I'll swap the engine to another truck and keep going

Old 04-11-2014, 03:56 PM
horatio102
Champion

DEF has a shelf life and storage requirements...

Store it between 23-68 degrees F.
I think there were a bunch of problems caused by that. And yeah, it took a while for the service industry to figure out what was going on.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:01 AM
barpe2013
Default Help

Bought a 08 Dodge Ram 3500 two weeks ago...120,000 miles.......Driver called said it was making a ticking noise.....Changed out u joints but still making the noise....... Best way to describe it is under the driver side door it sounds like a bike tire w a card in it???
Anyone else had this issue......gotta get it fixed today.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:52 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by horatio102
DEF has a shelf life and storage requirements...

Store it between 23-68 degrees F.
I think there were a bunch of problems caused by that. And yeah, it took a while for the service industry to figure out what was going on.
yep and that is going to cause a huge problem...

who the F is going to park their trucks in a climate controlled garage everywhere they go?

that DEF tank is GOING to heat up especially in the south... and there are very few people that have climate controlled garages/shops. heated: maybe...cooled: unlikely...

Quick Reply: New to Diesel world