Dodge Avenger This forum hosts discussion areas for both the 95-00 and 08-14 Dodge Avenger Coupes and Sedan

dodge avenger rpms fluctuating only when stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012 | 10:01 PM
Sammy89
|
Default dodge avenger rpms fluctuating only when stop

my 2000 dodge avenger idles bad only when stopped at a light or just sitting even worse when my ac is on other then that i have 131,000 miles on it, runs great other than this issue with the idle can anyone out there help me. I tool it to a local mechanic and was assured it was the timing belt and It didnt fix it yet i was still out of the money i paid him to fix it.

Old 08-17-2012 | 10:29 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator

Have you tried blocking off the EGR ? bad EGR allows unmetered air in and can cause stalling

Dirty /defective IAC can cause stalling but you replaced it (defective?)

leak in the manifold/ gasket area , throttle body gasket leak ?

Old 08-17-2012 | 10:50 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

does it ever die out on ur at idle/stop?

Old 08-18-2012 | 10:03 AM
Sammy89
|

The mechanic claimed he replaced the egr valve but i would love to block it off I just cant find where its located, is it closer towards the head light or more towards the steering wheel...dumb question but I have no clue.....................and to the other reply i received while im at a light and its dropping sometimes when i hit the gas it does cut off but starts right back up.

Old 08-18-2012 | 11:01 AM
steak59
Record Breaker

when u hit the gas it dies? kinda do sound like a symptom of jump time. But you alrdy changed it...
Your mechanic should have really check timing before he change it.
It could be a bad Throttle position sensor or Mass Air flow sensor. But those things really need a scanner to check.

Old 08-18-2012 | 11:12 AM
Sammy89
|

Yes i agree he should have checked it first needless to say i just filed in small claims court againts him for replacing that and it didnt fix the problem i took it there for, and he refused to mess with it anymore. But ill check on those sensors thanks for the info, My car should be close to new after this not much more i can change on it.

Old 08-18-2012 | 01:50 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

Sorry for my mistake, i think ur car uses Manifold pressure sensor instead of mass air flow. I was mistaken it from other engine. you have a 2.5l V6, right?
Also want to check Fuel pressure.
But sometimes I see problem with Distributors in those cars as well(freaking expensive part). But this problem, u need a real mechanic. I suggest you just take it to the dealer and pay a little diagnostic fee instead of taking guess.
I hope you can get some money back from ur mechanic. If he refuse to work on ur car anymore and didn't fix it, he should at least give u all labors money back. And just charge you for the parts(which is really not expensive). Generally this is the practice mechanics have in my area.

Last edited by steak59; 08-18-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-18-2012 | 11:32 PM
Sammy89
|
Unhappy Broke down today

well new update on my dodge I was going down the road stopped at a light all of a sudden i hit the gas and the car wouldn't move my motor started making the loudest noise ever and completly shut off in the middle of the road. kept trying to start it back the whole car was shaking while it was trying to turn over every time it turned it wouldn't move just very very loud noises from my motor hitting the gas made it shake harder and louder. Ive never seen anything like this. had to get it towed to dodge dealer today hope it gets fixed now if it is fixable it wont drive at all now......and yes its a 2.5l Have no clue whats going on guess on monday or tuesday they will tell me the damage done now

Old 08-21-2012 | 06:24 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator

EGR 's on the rear of the manifold passenger side two bolts hold it on , a small gasket made out of a tin cans enough to block it off ...

Your update sounds like a timing belt failure that was supposedly just redone

Old 08-23-2012 | 10:37 AM
Sammy89
|

well took it to dodge dealership on monday and didnt hear anything from them until wed, they said there not sure what it is...but they think it may be the ignition distributor...OMG this car is costing me soooo much guess we will see if they are right.

Quick Reply: dodge avenger rpms fluctuating only when stop