Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

2007 Caliber, Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Ruby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Caliber, Need Help!!

I traded in my 2003 Cavalier for a 2007 caliber with 109,915 miles in mid May and its been nothing but trouble. The engine light has gone on five times now for the same code, (Camshaft sensor) and I have brought it in four times already for attempted repair. The code for the camshaft position sensor keeps going on. Each time I've brought the car in,they have tried something different to fix it. They have cleared the senors, replaced both cam solenoids, replaced the oil valves and filter, reprogramed it and flushed the engine. They said next they would need to dismantle the engine! I bought the car with 109,915 miles in NY, so does that mean I can't qualify for the lemon law since its over a 100,000 miles? Does anybody have any suggestions on how I should proceeed?

I like my car but can't understand why the dealership hasn't been able to fix this problem... I'm feeling rather helpless.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Old 07-01-2012, 11:06 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

seen that problem b4, you most likely need a PCM.
Look online for Remanufacturer PCM, they run under $300. give pretty good waranty. and A new one from dealer could cause over $800
it sounds like you bought someone else's problem.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Ruby
Exclamation need help 2

I got a Dodge caliber 2007 in May. I'm stuck with a lemon because I bought it with over 100,000 so it isn't covered under the lemon law. It is in the shop for the fifth time and I haven't had it for two months yet! This has been for the engine light. The Dodge place told me that they have to take everything apart to find the problem. Which includes the engine, transmission etc. I have a two year warranty plus extended warranty because of the milage. Does anybody know if there is something I can do to have the dealership take it back and give me one that isn't a lemon? Should I complain that they sold me a lemon and that I could sue? Please help.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:25 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lemon Law only applies to new car under factory waranty, and refund situation varies from state to state.
If you buy a used car, there are usually paper works that you signed "release of liability". that means, if you sue, you most likely would lose.
Most reputable dealers offers like 1 week money back refund for any reason, an 30 day waranty. Not sure about your dealer.
If you have extended waranty, then why is the headache? they r paying. I there is a deductible, you should make the dealer eat them, since the can't fix it right for the 5th time.
btw, what is the exact code number for the CEL?

Old 07-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Ruby
Default engine

2007 caliber engine light on. They took the engine out and found shrapnel. What would fixing that entail?

Old 07-07-2012, 07:24 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Either rebuilding it or a replacement engine.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Ruby

I had feeling that is what the repairing would be. What about flakes in the oil pan? Is that related?

Old 07-08-2012, 08:48 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Any metal in the oil pan usually come from a failing engine component. Possibly a camshaft/cylinder head issue since you get repeated cam sensor codes.

On the plus side, your car will now have a rebuilt or low mileage engine in it now.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Ruby
Default engine

Finally was confirmed that the dodge place will be replacing my engine and putting one with 37,000 miles on it with a one year warranty. Would it be a rebuilt engine or just a second hand one? Is there any way to find out if there might be previous problems with this replacement engine? I'm assuming they will be checking it over good before installing it. Is there anything that I should know?

Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

It is probably from a wrecked car. Factory built and with that low mileage, should last a very long time. I would think that they would check it over before installing it. With a 1yr warranty, it should be worry free.

Quick Reply: 2007 Caliber, Need Help!!