Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Parking lights wont turn off

Old 02-26-2013, 01:58 PM
ckwattier
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking lights wont turn off

Ok ya'll... I calling on your knowledge here... I have a 2009 Dodge Caliber SXT and last night my lights wouldnt turn off. I parked the car, set the brake, removed the key & turned off the lights just like normal. This time my lights wouldnt turn all the way off. The headlights went offwhen I turned the switch once but the parking lights stayed on. It even rang the "idiot bell" when I opened my door like I left the lights on, but again, the switch was off.
They do eventually turn off when I lock my car but that is a fail safe feature of my model anyway should you accidentally leave the lights or dome light on.
So... Any ideas?? I did unhook the battery last night but that did not work. However I did not touch the cables together to drain the juice from the engine as I read elsewhere so I will try that when I get home... safe and sound...

Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you all in advance!!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The common failure are the Multi Function switch or head light switch, especially if it rang the idiot bell.

But if you want to be sure before you pull the trigger, just disconnect the multifunction switch all together, and see if problem goes away.
It might go into Default mode and turn everything ON while your car is running, but everything should shut off when you remove your key and lock your car.

You just need to pop open the steering column cover by removing 3 T20 Torx screw from the bottom in order to remove the Multi Function switch.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:24 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ckwattier
Ok ya'll... I calling on your knowledge here... I have a 2009 Dodge Caliber SXT and last night my lights wouldnt turn off. I parked the car, set the brake, removed the key & turned off the lights just like normal. This time my lights wouldnt turn all the way off. The headlights went offwhen I turned the switch once but the parking lights stayed on. It even rang the "idiot bell" when I opened my door like I left the lights on, but again, the switch was off.
They do eventually turn off when I lock my car but that is a fail safe feature of my model anyway should you accidentally leave the lights or dome light on.
So... Any ideas?? I did unhook the battery last night but that did not work. However I did not touch the cables together to drain the juice from the engine as I read elsewhere so I will try that when I get home... safe and sound...

Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you all in advance!!
Ckwattier,

Have there been any changes since your last post? If your concern is still outstanding and the warning bell is still chiming, with everything turned off, then you may want to have it brought into a Dodge dealer for further review. If you have any inquiries or need assistance booking an appointment, feel free to PM me.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:04 AM
ckwattier

Ok. I checked the multifunction switch like you suggested and everything happened exactly like you said it would. All the lights turned ON when I unplugged the switch and started my car and off when I stopped & locked the car. So now I just need to order a replacement part & put it in. Having trouble finding the right part number on the Internet & where to buy it. Thought I would just go to the dealer but I know they will be more expensive. Any suggestions where to buy?
Thank you so much for your help!! Honestly, my appreciation runs deep!!

Old 03-04-2013, 10:48 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Autozone shows one for $118.99. Part#SW5296 with a lifetime warranty.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:49 PM
ckwattier

Ok! Yes sir! All fixed! The dodge dealer price matched some online quotes I got and the switch went right in without a problem! Thanks again for all the info... Steak59, I owe you one! Take care all!
Originally Posted by steak59
The common failure are the Multi Function switch or head light switch, especially if it rang the idiot bell.

But if you want to be sure before you pull the trigger, just disconnect the multifunction switch all together, and see if problem goes away.
It might go into Default mode and turn everything ON while your car is running, but everything should shut off when you remove your key and lock your car.

You just need to pop open the steering column cover by removing 3 T20 Torx screw from the bottom in order to remove the Multi Function switch.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:19 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Good to hear. Thanks for the update.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parking lights wont turn off