Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

getting tired of problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 03:24 PM
augusta.davis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation getting tired of problems

I have a 2008 dodge caliber that i have so many problems with.. first i changed the alternator then the throttle body and now there is another problem and i have no clue what it is. i have a possible answer but i dont know much about it so i am hoping someone can clear things up for me.. the other day my bf was driving home and he said all of a sudden my car lost power he said it didnt turn off but simply wouldnt go anywhere he pushed it to the side of the road waited a few minutes started it and it started moving again then it would stop and he would have to repeat the process. when i step on the accelerator it has a high pitch whine and there is a weird noise coming from the back of the engine some people have told me pulley belt tranny fuel problems.. i have recently come across something called a evap purge solenoid and there are some of the same issues but somewhere it said it wouldnt go into drive without shutting off well mine will go into drive and park reverse all the gears no problem. i got some codes ran on it a while back and one of them said something about an emission problem and that is another issure the evap purge solenoid had and my car also has. if anyone can help i would appreciate it. i also read if it is ran like that too long it can mess up the head gaskets and a good sign of the solenoid being out is bad spark plugs but last time i checked my plugs were fine. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

Old 01-02-2014, 04:56 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Does the lightning bolt light come on when this occurs? Sounds like a possibly bad Throttlebody.

The purge solenoid should not cause the no power issue.It will not cause a head gasket or spark plug issue either. It just controls when to bleed off gas tank fumes/pressure..

Old 01-02-2014, 05:26 PM
augusta.davis

i just changed the throttle body last month and no lightening bolt anymore just the check engine light it sounds like its not going into the next gear like a transmission problem... it was jerking when it had a throttle body problem besides the whining when i accelerate it doesnt do anything but rev up and barely goes if it doesnt do that it just sits there like i have it in neutral reving it...

Old 01-02-2014, 05:27 PM
augusta.davis

good to know it wont cause a head gasket problem. kinda hear rattling too i live in the sticks so im afraid to try to get it to town

Old 01-02-2014, 05:32 PM
augusta.davis

has no problem starting either if that helps with anything

Old 01-03-2014, 05:01 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Could be a transmission issue. Does it do the same thing in reverse? It's a long shot, but check the CV joints in the axles and make sure one of them hasn't failed and is not sending power the the wheels.
If possible, recheck the codes to see if anything else comes up besides the EVAP solenoid.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:10 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by augusta.davis
i just changed the throttle body last month and no lightening bolt anymore just the check engine light it sounds like its not going into the next gear like a transmission problem... it was jerking when it had a throttle body problem besides the whining when i accelerate it doesnt do anything but rev up and barely goes if it doesnt do that it just sits there like i have it in neutral reving it...

If you run the car with a bad throttle body for an extended period of time, there is a huge risk of the driver in the PCM being damaged. It may have showed itself. I've done many of these in pairs. Lots of throttle bodies, lots of alternators. Take it back, it's only been a month. AT least let them recheck it.

Quick Reply: getting tired of problems