Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Damage to 07 sxt - need help (really weird)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 07:19 PM
steve_d
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damage to 07 sxt - need help (really weird)

Please read entirely - I know what caused the issue lol

Hit a snow bank going about 40. Instantly, battery light turned on and lights went dim, but went away so I don't think that caused a problem. Only problem I have now is it takes, on average, more cranks for car to start

The major problem is now, ONLY when the ABS kicks in on ice or snow, it sounds HORRIBLE. Very loud, almost grinding. Please, I know this is NOT what my ABS sounded like before. I may have caused some damage.

Anyway, after a few times of driving it, everything acts, seems, and drives completely normal... Drives straight, turns smoothly, etc etc - until the ABS kicks in. Then I truly know something is messed up. I cannot describe it, but it is legit rough. Sharp vibration/rocking, grinding, and maybe even a slight popping but hard to tell. Once again, it is ONLY when the ABS activates.

Anyway, here are two things we think.
1.) Needs a wheel bearing
2.) possible damaged shock.

Everything else looks straight as an arrow. Please guide me in what you believe to be the right direction. Thank you

Steve

Old 01-13-2014, 05:52 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would take it to a local shop (I like the guy at my local Sears) and have the alignment checked. While under there, they can inspect all of the components. Let them know what happened and what you suspect.
I would suspect maybe a damaged strut, but in theory, it should make noise when hitting a hard bump or dip in the road. A bearing should be heard anytime. (At least the ones on my Ram did)
Can you feel the vibration/grinding in the steering wheel or just in the brake pedal?

I think the alternator thing was just from the belt getting wet and slipping for a bit.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Damage to 07 sxt - need help (really weird)