Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Fuel Gauge in 07 Caliber reading "Empty", gas light on

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 07:37 PM
Niserox
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge in 07 Caliber reading "Empty", gas light on

Hey guys, first post here; but I've browsed these forums wayyyy too much trying to fix every little thing that pops up with this damn car.

Anyways, recently my battery died, this was the 2nd time it happened in 2 months and when I did a load test on the battery, it was at 9.7 volts. Pretty much dead.

Anyways, I got a jump start and noticed that gas gauge was reading "E" and the gas light had come on. I knew for a fact there was at least 1/4 of a tank left, so I was confused. The car drove fine.

After googling and researching, I found it to be a common problem when a battery dies, and usually this problem rectifies itself after a few days of driving, but the battery was jumped on Thursday and replaced on Friday with a brand new battery. Its currently Wednesday and the fuel gauge is still E and gas light is still on.

I plugged in an OBDII sensor and saw that the fuel reading direct from the ECU of the car was around 45%, which is actually what I had assumed it to be around, so that rules out computer issues and the sending unit being broken right?

I'm still confused as to why the gauge isn't working. For reference, all the other gauges work fine (spedo, odo, etc.) so would that rule out that it isn't the instrument panel?

Kind of at a crossroads here to be honest. I'm not sure what has to be replaced. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:55 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You might try unhooking the battery again for about 30 minutes or so to see if it cures the problem.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:54 PM
Niserox
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try doing that tonight to see if it helps. I've already done it before for around 5-10 minutes with both leads connected to each other to really drain the the power, but I'll just try it for longer this time.

Would it possibly be a continuity issue with a wire on the instrument panel?