Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Break-In for the Caliber

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 01:52 PM
whoosh
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break-In for the Caliber

Originally Posted by DodgeInfoCenter

Every vehicle we sell requires a proper break-in period for optimal engine life, including ALL SRT vehicles. Here is the exact wording from page 59 of the Caliber Owners Manual.

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine in your new vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.

While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration, within the limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in. Wide open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.

The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be considered as a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted as an indication of difficulty.

ALSO:

It is recommended that you leave the factory oil in the vehicle until the first oil change to ensure proper valve seating. After the first change, it would be fine to put in synthetic.

Old 04-07-2006, 08:23 AM
RiCEADDiCTBOY
Default RE: Break-In for the Caliber

A long break-in period is not required for the engine in your new vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.

While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration, within the limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in. Wide open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.
first...50-60 mph after 60 miles?...what if you have to drive on the interstate often? wtf?

also...can someone explain to me the difference between full-throttle and wide open throttle? excuse my ignorance...

Old 04-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Xtreme Thunder
Professional

ORIGINAL: RiCEADDiCTBOY

first...50-60 mph after 60 miles?...what if you have to drive on the interstate often? wtf?

also...can someone explain to me the difference between full-throttle and wide open throttle? excuse my ignorance...
Umm probably depends what context they are put in.

Full throttle is probably mening already at a 15-20 roll then "full throttle" to get up to speed then let off, full to pass, then let off....short amounts of time

Wide Open throttle, is probably 0-80 without letting off, long amount of time

Yes both mean the samething, but I think in engine break-in they have sort of skewed meanings.

I may be worng, but the is how I interpreted it.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:29 PM
whoosh
Champion

It's just different words for the same thing. All they're saying is wide open (or full) throttle at lower gears is detremental. No difference in meaning IMO

Quick Reply: Break-In for the Caliber