Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Real Gas Mileage with automatic

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 01:19 PM
tnek
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Real Gas Mileage with automatic

ORIGINAL: shiltz

I was just looking at the jeep site which has specs on the compass now, after looking at that it definatly seems that the CVT is the culperate for the poor fuel economy, now adays normal auto's have fuel economy's about the same as manual, usualy 1mpg worse or better.

just for example first, here's a few different vehicles, 4-8 cyl, trucks and cars with both auto and manual fuel economys.

Jeep Liberty 3.7L
18/22 6 speed manual
17/23 4 speed auto

Dodge Dakota 4.7L
15/20 6 speed manual
15/20 5 speed auto

Scion tc 2.4L
22/29 5 speed manual
23/30 4 speed auto

Honda Civic 1.8L
30/38 6 speed manual
30/40 5 speed auto

Ford Focus 2.0L
26/34 5 speed manual
26/32 4 speed auto

So basicaly auto's are just as good, and in some cases a little better than the manual in the same car and in some cases a little worse, but then there's the CVT (which is suposed to give better economy that a normal auto) vs 5 speed manual in the compass.

Jeep Compass 2.4L
25/29 5 speed manual
23/26 CVT

Personaly that tells me they need to drop the CVT and go with a normal 4/5 speed auto, it would get better economy and performance.
You cant always compare the milage of manual vs auto fairly. My 05 Dakota quad cab 4wd has a 4.7 v8 and the 45RFE 5 speed auto. I get almost 20MPG IF i set my cruise control at around 57. The manual tranny is with a v6 which is a trade off, the V6 cant really pull the auto and most definatly couldnt pull any kind of trailer load with the auto. The 4.7 V8 with the 5 speed auto gets a little MPG help from the extra gear.
I am curious how the owners of the CVT like them and if there are any problems with them. The reason I ask is that I work for Chrysler in thier transmission complex (three plants) in Indiana. The CVT is NOT made by us and its made by JATCO, a Japaneese company. We had a large layoff due to Chryslers decision to not build it at our plants. Consider that this rubberband tranny replaced the one used for neons, stratus, and the new Jeep line. Thats a lot of product and jobs lost. We are hearing there has been a significant percentage of problems with them and to be honest it serves them right. Rumor is there is a plan to use an existing 5 or 6 speed we are building next model year, and do away with the JATCO. Im interested in maybe getting a Calibre next year with a 1.8 and a MANUAL tranny for my daily 100 plus mile round trip commute.

Old 08-19-2006, 05:02 PM
RTWarrior

Sorry to hear about the layoffs, that aside I really like the CVT tranny. I haven't experienced or heard of any problems arising from them as of yet. Performance has improved with more milage on it and getting accustomed to a new style of driving with this tranny. I'd like a little more off the line performance but overall it's not to bad at all and it really scoots well when your moving.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:13 PM
patakadad

Hi everyone, new at this game. My Black SXT was built during the evening shift on July 6 and I picked it up on July 28. Didn't order, just looked around and found what I liked. Normal goodies inside an an ever so powerful 1800 cc 5 sp. ( I guess I am too old for speedy vehicles now). It works very well so far. What I learned from reading your comments certainly helped me make some decisions. Thanks for that.

Here is my mileage for the first two tank loads.

Comb city/hwy driving. 34.71 and 34.94 mpg. (8.11 ltr / 100k)

That's using the imperial system. For our American friends multiply that by .8318 to convert to mpUSg. (That works out to about 29.113 mpg) So it is pretty well bang on with the window sticker of 33 city and 42 hwy. Taking into consideration it is still under 1200 kms of driving of course.

4urinfo one US gallon equals 3.785 liters and one Canadian gallon equals 4.546 litre. We gott 'em bigger up here !!!

Looking forward to chatting periodically with you all..

Old 08-20-2006, 08:05 PM
bigtsr
Captain

I have a black SXT(cruise,security,2.0,cvt) and took a run up to the Ontario Mopar Fest in New Hamburg Ontario yesterday
I am 6'1" 230lbs and my passenger is 6'4" 240lbs.
Drove city 40kmh,set cruise at 110kmh and several passes on the expressway up to 140 kmh,
had filled up when I left and on return again ended up 34 mpg/imperial or abt 28 mpg/US.
No noises,no pings and no leaks (washers or anywhere as it was raining) car built June 22,06.
Happy Caliber owner.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Trigun76

i have the AWD R/T and so far i have averaged only 21 miles/g. with 1000 miles on it, 950 being highway, i really really hope this improves as the car breaks in. Luckily AC makes me sick and i never use it

Old 08-24-2006, 12:38 PM
GypsyBill

With a little over 3000 miles on the clock... I am averaging 22-23 mpg... this is a mix (25 mile round trip commute with about 12 at ~60 and the rest stop and go city with the AC always on). I have yet to take it on the interstate for any long distance to calculate pure hwy milage.. this is all hand calculated as I don't have the computer deal... this is a little better than I was averaging in my '05 Kia Sportage (2.7L V6 - same hp and torque) auto that I had 18,000 miles on when traded..

Old 08-28-2006, 12:30 AM
bigtsr
Captain

SXT 2.0 CVT second tank of gas all city stop and go 10.276 km/liter;9.73 liter/100km;29 mpg imperial gal;
24.2 mpg/US,figured manually no EVIC.
Driving like I stole it!!!!

Old 09-05-2006, 02:42 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Wow, there seems to be quite a difference in gas mileage from those of you that have posted your mileage. some are not that much better than my caravans. I really want to test drive one, if only the local dealers could get and keep in stock the more basic models. They get in one (usually on order for someone ) and then they're gone.. Thanks for all the mileage info....keep posting as your motors break in and it improves (hopefully).

Old 09-06-2006, 10:18 PM
04StratusR/T
Veteran

I got 33 miles/gal with my Caliber SXT Sport on my first fill up ever. It has the 2 liter with the CVT.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:53 AM
07IR/RT

Hey all... got my Inferno Red R/T 2.4 w/autostick FWD 1 week ago today. Got 265 miles on the first tank (refilled about 5 miles or so after the low fuel light went on... the needle looked mighty close to the big bad E). Did the math and got just about 24 mpg for this first tankfull. Thats with some highway and more city driving, but also with a few HOURS worth of standing damn still inching my way to a parking spot for a concert at Toyota Park in Bridgeview IL...). I have used the autostick a bit... but haven't quite jumped on it... I really am trying to be good and break it in normally. Just wanted to throw my numbers into the ring.
Anyone with the fancy trip computers know how many miles it "claims" you have till empty when the low fuel light goes on? In my 2000 Dakota with the 5.9 it was 30 miles.
Also, just out of curiosity, anyone know if the driver info center (the screen to the left on the gages) can be added post production?

Tanks.

Quick Reply: Real Gas Mileage with automatic