Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Stalling!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Me_also
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stalling!

I read something on the caliberforums.com site about this you could check there and see iif there was a resoolve for it.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:11 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran

The referenced TSB that I posted covers automatics also. You should have your engine controller and trans controller reprogrammed. The stalling is a konwn issue with the electronic throttle on the new world engine. Just a software glitch.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:14 PM
MissmyMatrix

Took my car to the dealership on 11/8 and was told in no uncertain terms that there were no flash updates regarding the stalling issue and since the dealership was unable to recreate the problem they would not contact Chrysler directly about the "reported" issue. The ditzy bimbo behind the service desk repeatedly ignored my requests to speak with the service manager and when I returned to the dealership the paperwork I had provided from this forum was missing.

When I went to pick up my car the service department was closed so I spoke with the sales manager about the issue and my treatment by the service department. He allowed me web access to print out this forum and I was told to take the car to another dealership where the servce manager was known to dig at issues until they are solved. So I took my car to another dealership and spent another two days without my car while the service manager fought with Chrysler about the issue. Long story short, there had been 2 software upgrades since my car had been made and they updated the software to the most current level. It hasn't stalled once since I got it back over two weeks ago and it was stalling almost daily before it was serviced. YEAH!!

To anyone who is facing this problem, just keep at it until they listen. There are no "flash updates" for the transmission control module (TCM) or powertrain control module (PCM). The service department has to contact Chrysler directly and request the latest software version for the TCM and PCM so it can be dowloaded into your car's CPU. There is no service bulletin to this effect so most dealerships will cut you off and tell you there is nothing they can do. They are wrong!!!!

Old 11-27-2006, 06:14 PM
johnnkf

I took the car in this morning and provided them with TSB: 18-033-06. 30 minutes later they called me and claimed that TSB would do nothing to resolve the issue. They test drove the car and said they could not recreate the problem so there was nothing much they could do about the stalling. I recalled that it stalled a few times after filling the tank so I mentioned that to them. About 50 minutes later they called back and said they had checked the EVAP system for fuel but reported no fuel in the system, canister, or purge valve. They said they couldn't isolate the problem and that they couldn't spend any more time on the car so I should come and pick it up. I protested because basically they were telling me to drive in an unsafe car. After some back-and-forth I lucked out because they agreed to keep searching. Anyway, they claimed to have gone back online and found a flash for the PCM. So now I have my fingers crossed that the problem is resolved. Thanks for the suggestions and help.
Safe driving!

Old 12-02-2006, 10:43 PM
brandoncrone
Veteran

ORIGINAL: MissmyMatrix

To anyone who is facing this problem, just keep at it until they listen. There are no "flash updates" for the transmission control module (TCM) or powertrain control module (PCM). The service department has to contact Chrysler directly and request the latest software version for the TCM and PCM so it can be dowloaded into your car's CPU. There is no service bulletin to this effect so most dealerships will cut you off and tell you there is nothing they can do. They are wrong!!!!
Don't let them kid you there are flash updates for both and no dealer has to call anybody, the scan tool that interfaces with the powertrain control module does all of the work. That tool searches for the update over the internet directly to DCX main computer.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:19 PM
rockstar2484

I was driving to work this morning on I-95 in Fort Lauderdale. Needless to say, if you're from the Ft.Lauderdale-Miami area, you know that this highway is hell for traffic. Anyway...my Caliber inconveniently stalled while I was driving along (in 5th gear) on the highway, creating a scary driving experience for me this morning. Trying to get in the breakdown lane w/ a stalled, decelerating vehicle with no power steering wasn't very fun...

So I'm going to make an appointment with my dealer ASAP, seeing as I need an oil change soon anyway. I'm going to recommend they do this flash update I've been reading about here. Does anyone know if it is an extra charge, and if so, how much?

Old 12-04-2006, 01:28 PM
tupmeier
Rookie

there is no charge for that its a chrysler bulletin ,cheers Thomas

Old 12-04-2006, 09:48 PM
mindjello

OK Gang here's a brand new issue! My check engine light came on a week ago and I finally got an appointment with the service department at my dealer and they tell me it's yet another software glitch. It seems it's an issue with the block heater. The last cold snap here in alberta had us down to -40C so ofcourse we plugged the car in. Well, now they tell us to keep calling them every week to see if a new update has been released and in the meantime, don't worry about it. Except that I have to look at that damned yellow check engine light all the time. Does this deserve a new forum topic? I wonder what next?

Old 12-08-2006, 02:03 PM
rockstar2484

ORIGINAL: rockstar2484

I was driving to work this morning on I-95 in Fort Lauderdale. Needless to say, if you're from the Ft.Lauderdale-Miami area, you know that this highway is hell for traffic. Anyway...my Caliber inconveniently stalled while I was driving along (in 5th gear) on the highway, creating a scary driving experience for me this morning. Trying to get in the breakdown lane w/ a stalled, decelerating vehicle with no power steering wasn't very fun...

So I'm going to make an appointment with my dealer ASAP, seeing as I need an oil change soon anyway. I'm going to recommend they do this flash update I've been reading about here. Does anyone know if it is an extra charge, and if so, how much?
*UPDATE*
Brought my car into Dodge this week...they found nothing wrong and said there were no flash updates...They said, call us back if it happens again...

Old 01-14-2007, 03:02 AM
mindjello

Here's an update to the "check engine light" problem. So, after it warmed up for a few days and we didn't need to plug the car in, the engine light went out. The tmep has dropped again and we've had to plug the car in and what do you know....the light came back on! Surprize, surprize! Well, I'm emailing my servivce department every week until they get the computer update to fix this new problem. I guess it's not a problem for those who don't live in a colder climate, but for us that need a block heater ( and those that know what a block heatre is! LOL) this is a real annoying problem. Anyone else been having this issue?

Quick Reply: Stalling!