Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1997 Caravan tranny problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 11:24 AM
derekmac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Caravan tranny problems?

My 97 3.0 3spd is starting to have some problems. When driving on the hwy, sometimes it will start to shake really bad, but if you put it into neutral, it will stop. It has also just started to want to stay in second gear. It takes longer to shift out of second, and now when you start to slow down, it will down shift into second.

It's been doing the shaking off and on now for close to a year, but it's getting worse, and it wanting to stay in second is something new that it has just started doing.

I don't know if this is associated in any way, but lately it seems like the battery isn't getting a proper charge, even though it is. One day it will start with no problems, and the next it seems like it's almost completely dead, it won't start and the lights are dim and the power windows are really slow moving. I had the alt checked and was told that it was putting out proper voltage, so I figured it was the battery, replaced it and still doing the same thing. I checked the wires and ground straps, and everything else that I could thing of and evreything seems fine.

All of this seemed to start happening all at once. Any thoughts would be greatly appreaciated!!

Old 07-21-2007, 04:21 PM
chris56
Default RE: 1997 Caravan tranny problems?

have you taken it to a dodge dealer or other auto shop yet and asked their opinion?

Old 07-21-2007, 06:57 PM
next2pool
Professional

I would get to the bottom of that seemingly low voltage condition first, since anything electronic may act up under those conditions. Have you checked the wire from the alternator to the top of the underhood electrical panel? If you have a voltmeter, I would do some probing while things are dim to see what voltage you have at various points such as battery cables, underhood fuse/junction box.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:16 PM
derekmac

I checked the battery voltage the last time it wouldn't start and it was showing roughly 11.83 volts. I'll look alittle closer at all of the positive cables just to make sure there is no corrorsion on them that I missed the first time that I looked.

I'll check those points that you mentioned to see if there is a major voltage difference anywheres.

I'd rather leave taking it to the dealer or an other shop unless I can't figure it out.

Thanks for the replies

Old 07-23-2007, 11:08 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Clean the cables and recharge the battery. you should be charging at 13.5 to 14.2 volts. If its not charging ck the fan belt see if it loose or missing, if thats good maybe the alt is bad. On your transmissionI know youhave a3.0L engine but you didn't say if it was a 3 speed or a 4 speed.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:55 PM
HighCz

Regarding the tranny, check out https://dodgeforum.com/m_903091/tm.htm
Problem sounds similar, similar year vans...worth a quick look anyway.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:32 PM
greaseangel
Professional

He said 3spd. Exact same van I have. Have you tried replacing the wire from the alternator to the fuse box? Cured my problems. Wire looked fine, but once I peeled back a little of the insulation, it was all green inside.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:36 PM
derekmac

Wow, thanks for all of the responses! I've cleaned the wires and terminals, but haven't checked the voltage from the alt yet. That link sounds just like my van, I will definitly have to have a look at that. If it isn't charging properly, I will replace the wire with a new peice.

I will update after I check into it a bit more.

Thanks again

Old 08-02-2007, 05:24 PM
derekmac

Ok, I tested the alt and it is putting out 12.8 to about mid 13s. I also decided since the battery was under warranty, that I would get a new one just in case. It's been going fine for a few days now, lets hope that it will continue that way.

Quick Reply: 1997 Caravan tranny problems?