Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

97 caravan stalling, Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 05:36 PM
spat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 caravan stalling, Tips?

I have a 97 grand caravan 3.8L 128K miles
new plugs & wires at 110K miles
new coil pack today

I had a rare stalling problem last december that started after a long road trip. A couple weeks later it progressivly got worse and then seemed more like transmission problem. Suddenly one day the transmission proved faulty so the van sat till last week. I just got it back from haveing the transmission rebuilt. The planetary gear asymbly was shot. They did a complete overhaul & hot flushed the oil cooler.

I still have a stall problem. I have been driving it for 3 days now after the trans work. As far as I can tell it is not related to trans but have seen trans' do strange things before. I am a former Nissan Tech of 10 years but have little exp. with Dodge.

Yesterday I cleaned the throttlebody and today I replaced the coil pack but still stalling. Let me try to explain the symptom best I can. It will stall hot or cold at idle or cruising speeds.It has not stalled yet under heavy loads but has stalled on initial throttle. At Idle I have a slight flutter but not bad. It does get worse whene returning to idle but then smooths out mostly and sometimes suddenly dies with now stumble just seems as if the key was shut off. That was my reason for replacing the coil pack plus a white hot spot at one end of the pack. I had hoped cleaning the throttlebody would clear the flutter but no luck. I pulled one plug and it was clean. Has A large gap didn't measure it since I currently have no specs to compare yet. Looking for a book at the moment. However I would think the gap should be large for DIS with platinum plugs. I had auto zone pull codes and only got p106. Wich may have been triggered while cleaning the throttle body. Unfortunatly they wont let me use the scanner even after showing them my ASE card. Then when I ask them if they can retrieve Passed codes they look at me like I haven't a clue. AHH! Frustrating!

After spending $2,000 on the trans I am too broke to buy my own scanner and a good shop manaul for the moment so any pointers would be great. Are the MAF and IACV common problems on these engines?
Thanks for any of your help!

Spat

Old 11-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Ml2f
Default RE: 97 caravan stalling, Tips?

I also have the same problem on my 1997 caravan, dies suddenly all power loss engine lights remain on will start if I turn the key on and off several times and I just got the van back yesterday from having the tranny rebuilt at 156k this problem started before the tranny went out. . I've been researching this for awhile now and the two most common things I see related to this are the MAP sensor and EGR valve, I have yet to check these things thought I post here to see if anyone else has.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Ml2f

I went to Autozone today and had them put in on the computer. Computer read cam sensor.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:17 PM
next2pool
Professional

I'd go with what the code says, but this can also happen with a marginal Map sensor and sometimes it won't set a code.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:36 AM
Ml2f

I bought the cam sensor will replace it tomorrow and let everyone know how it works, hopefully that will fix the problem

Old 11-22-2007, 08:48 AM
spat

Mine is very odd. I have been to autozone a few times to have the diagnostic codes pulled and get a different code most of the time. My assuption is a poor connection or stressed wire somewhere in the engine harness. I have done some live wiggle testing but no luck sofar. Sometimes it will stall several times in a row and not set a code. I did notice a heavy build-up of corosion in a couple of the battery cables. I bought a few parts to repair that issue but wont get to it till the weekend. Still can't duplicate the symptom by wiggleing and twisting the cables in that area thou.

I have noticed an issue with the interrior lights as well. Whene I turn off the engine and get out of the seat the lights will come on immediatly every now and then but most of the time it takes several seconds or longer. I would guess it may be a weak relay but not sure. Any chance someone has a complete schematic or diagram of this model?

I will post my results after the weekend.

Happy Thanks Giving!

Spat

Old 12-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Ml2f

Just an update I did replace camshaft position sensor and my van hasn't died ONE time since replacing...thank god.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:08 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

i have the same issue with the interior lights.. mine is the driver door switch.. next time take your finger push it in and let it snap back out.. bet it turns on.. i just havent had the need to replace the switch.. but my van has started stalling. normally mine does it when slowing down fast.. or turning the wheel .. it will stall out.. all i have to do is start it right back up and go on my way.. but its doing it more often now.. any ideas?

ORIGINAL: spat

Mine is very odd. I have been to autozone a few times to have the diagnostic codes pulled and get a different code most of the time. My assuption is a poor connection or stressed wire somewhere in the engine harness. I have done some live wiggle testing but no luck sofar. Sometimes it will stall several times in a row and not set a code. I did notice a heavy build-up of corosion in a couple of the battery cables. I bought a few parts to repair that issue but wont get to it till the weekend. Still can't duplicate the symptom by wiggleing and twisting the cables in that area thou.

I have noticed an issue with the interrior lights as well. Whene I turn off the engine and get out of the seat the lights will come on immediatly every now and then but most of the time it takes several seconds or longer. I would guess it may be a weak relay but not sure. Any chance someone has a complete schematic or diagram of this model?

I will post my results after the weekend.

Happy Thanks Giving!

Spat

Old 12-17-2007, 07:11 PM
dirtmover
Amateur

ORIGINAL: dishdude2k

but my van has started stalling. normally mine does it when slowing down fast.. or turning the wheel .. it will stall out.. all i have to do is start it right back up and go on my way.. but its doing it more often now.. any ideas?
I had the exact same symptoms last winter under the same conditions. I did clean the throttle body, changed the battery and air filter but this didn't fix it. After a couple of months the input speed sensor packed in. Ireplaced it andit has never stalledin the8 months since. Maybe a coincidence? We'll see what this winter brings.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:41 AM
dirtmover
Amateur

Oops, spoke too soon. Stalled twice yesyerday completely out of the blue. It's gone almost 11 months without a single stalling incidentand then suddenly it starts up again! Any ideas what else may be causing this behaviour.

Quick Reply: 97 caravan stalling, Tips?