Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2001 caravan transmission problems with codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 08:41 PM
cschevy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 caravan transmission problems with codes

I have a 2001 caravan. While driving it one day last month, it just lost all forward and reverse. It made a loud sound that I have determined to be the oil pump cavatating. I heard the solenoid packs on these go bad and may leak. Mine leaked and I bought a new one. I put it on and a new input shaft sensor. I did not clear the codes and decided to try it up and down the driveway.

The van was strong in reverse and forward. It plowed through a foot of unshoveled snow. My drive is 150 feet long. It was great up and down the drive. I took it on the road. It drove 1/2 mile, shifted to second and again lost all forward and reverse. I towed it home. Pulled the following codes: P0731, p0732, p0700, p0500, p1782, p1784. What do I do next? I do not suspect the internals are bad. The trans was just too strong. I suspect some type of controller is bad. What do you think? I am by no means a transmission mechanic. Any help is greatly appreciated.[/align]

Old 12-17-2007, 11:32 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: 2001 caravan transmission problems with codes

P0500 is the output speed sensor,P0700 int tcm code,P0731 and P0732 are gear ratio errors, P1782 2/4 pressure circuit and P1784 L/R pressure circuit. I would replace the output sensor 1st and ck the sensor for metal on the sensor.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:17 AM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Master Tech's advice is right on. Why didn't you clear the codes? The gear ratio codes relate to you need to do a quick-learn on the TCM to give it basic values to learn from. The TCM can't be re-set with a battery disconnect or a basic DRB tool. You'll need aStealership or a mechanic with a tranny-capable computer.Until you clear those, you will keep getting limp mode or worse. As for the "strength" of your tranny....Once things get up to temp and road speeds (not driveway) is when slippage of internals will start.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:14 AM
cschevy

RECAP: Yesterday, the van went 1/2 mile acting good. Then, just went into a neutral mode. No forward or reverse. After being towed home, I let the van sit. Usually after overnight, the van will move again, for a few hundred feet. Then act up again.

Here is the update: I realized that the pump was not cavatating this time, even though the van won't move. I went to move it 24 hours after the 'breakdown' and no go. I erased the codes and the pump started cavatating immediately. The van moved just fine. I got the 150 feet to the garage, and the van started slipping again. I checked and have no codes now. I pulled the output shaft sensor and being a magnet, it was covered with the usual 'hairy, furry looking stuff' that you find on the pan magnet. I also found what looked alot like shrapnel. Little pieces of something inside that may have broken. It was cast iron pieces (crumbs), and the bigger ones were probably 1/8 inch pieces. I changed the sensor, and van still does not move. I still have no codes. The pump is cavatating.

My next move is to drop the pan and look inside tomorrow. This is looking ugly.

Any input from here is greatly appreciated. I appreciate the help so far.

Quick Reply: 2001 caravan transmission problems with codes