Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

??? TSB Tranny fluid pre99 minivans ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 03:47 PM
John in MN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ??? TSB Tranny fluid pre99 minivans ???

Any lube engineer expert out there?

Transmissions seem tobe trouble -- but how about the info in the TSB -- are the people whowrite themas confused as we are ???
USE OF ATF+4 vs ATF+3IN A PRE-1999 MINIVAN.
VERY CONFUSING SERVICE BULLETINS - Contradict each other. see below --
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*TSB:21-006-01, 6/29/2001 IN LARGE LETTERS says" NOTE :THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO ALL VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH CHRYSLER AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS EXCEPT 1999 AND EARLIER MINIVANS." -- very SPECIFIC

-Three Years Later-

* TSB 21-004-04, - 3/16/2004,WHICH SAID insmall letters= " NOTE: This bulletin applies to all transmissions manufactured by Chrysler except for 1999 and earlier minivans with the41TE/AE transmission" ------ well nowsmall letters --must be not as SPECIFIC huh!!!

*But than on April 14, 2006 The TSB said to get rid of all the old TSB??? (WHY SUCH A BIG SWITCH IN POLICY ) "THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 21-004-04, DATED MARCH 16, 2004, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION".-----NO MENTION OF "1999 AND EARLIER MINIVANS"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So who really knows what to use ???

Makes me think they (CHRYSLER)orIginally felt ATF+4 wasNO GOODto usefor the pre99 minivans -- than they thought well were goIng to go to ATF+4 so letsnot be so hard on the OIL COMPANIES they'll want to discontinue AFT+3 so will use small letters meaning --customer GOOD LUCK ---- Than they decided well lets just drop our reference stating ATF+4 is NO GOOD FOR PRE 1999 MINIVANS --- and let the poor consumer get the dirty end of the stick !!!

HELP John

Old 01-04-2008, 06:15 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: ??? TSB Tranny fluid pre99 minivans ???

Well there is a new TSB 21-014-07, If you like me send you a copy just send a pm. Leonard

Old 01-05-2008, 08:40 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Perhaps the issue is with 'torque converter shutter'
with the older designed torque converters
when using the ATF+4 9602
instead of the earlier ATF+2 or ATF+3 fluids.

My 'gut' feeling would be to stick with ATF+3
and add a bottle or two of red or platinum bottle Lubegard

http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/t..._platinum.html

There is a long paper about ATF+4
published in the Society of Automotive Engineers Journal magazine
paper# 982674

Lubrizol Inc. created the ATF+4 type 9602 for Chrysler

Old 01-05-2008, 11:36 AM
John in MN

ORIGINAL: master tech

Well there is a new TSB 21-014-07, If you like me send you a copy just send a pm. Leonard

Well thank You Leonard. I just looked up that TSB -great.

It like the 2006 TSB doesn't specify pre 1996 minivans as a listing.
Thats kind of what seems to have held some vageness to what they recommend ------- going back to the prior TSB where they specificly said" NO-NO-NO to using ATF+4 in pre1999 minivans " at least now they list the 1996 and newer -------- but not 1995 and older !

Well I did solve the problem --- I got some "NOS" Havoline ATF+3 from a local oildistributor. The cases look to be 10+ years old -- so I can put in what was called for.

Maybe the use of ATF+4 would be okay--maybe even better --- but with the questions/doubts regarding TC shutter/Seals/Bearings as some have said I guess I will use this for now.

Everything I own (except a Backhoe) is a manual transmission ---- I got to have a HIP replaced & after that major back/spine surgery - so I figured I best have something with an 'automatic' - and easy entry/exit/good seating position` and this 1995 era minivan is great.
We areretired and have a collection `of old cars from the 1920's to 60's -- so we do a lot of playing around -- if the back isn't hurting.

John

Old 01-05-2008, 11:43 AM
John in MN

ORIGINAL: HankL

Perhaps the issue is with 'torque converter shutter'
with the older designed torque converters
when using the ATF+4 9602
instead of the earlier ATF+2 or ATF+3 fluids.

My 'gut' feeling would be to stick with ATF+3
and add a bottle or two of red or platinum bottle Lubegard

http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/t..._platinum.html

There is a long paper about ATF+4
published in the Society of Automotive Engineers Journal magazine
paper# 982674

Lubrizol Inc. created the ATF+4 type 9602 for Chrysler
Thanks Hank I saw reference to the SAE paper regarding Chrysler developing a ATF fluid - but I didn't see the specifics on it.

As I mentioned I kept looking ------- and did find some NOS ATF+3 so we can go that way like you mentioned.

Thanks John ------ looking for trouble - I sometimes think..

Quick Reply: ??? TSB Tranny fluid pre99 minivans ???