Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

MIL Code 54:No Cam Signal at PCM

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 12:34 PM
kimg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MIL Code 54:No Cam Signal at PCM

My 96 Dodge Grand Caravan's check engine light is on again. I checked the code. It is 54 - No cam signal at PCM. I noticed that when this happened, the tachometer read zero. Does anybody know it is really the camshaft sensor problem? odometer

Old 01-20-2008, 11:32 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: MIL Code 54:No Cam Signal at PCM

1st of does the engine start and run? There could be many reason why the tach reads zero. You need to ck with a dvom if you have a 8 volt at cav #3 and ground #2 and cam signal # 1. You could have an open wire or short, or even a bad pcm. To diag this problem you will need a DRB3 scan tool.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:13 AM
kimg

It happens intermittently and more often now. When the tachometer shows zero, the engine stalls or sometimes the tachometer recovers with a jolt of the car. After the stall, the engine can be restarted. I took out the camshaft position sensor. It looked fine. I cleaned it and put it back. I feel the engine is stronger, but the stall still happens. I hope it's not the PCM problem. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:17 AM
kimg

I have compared the old cam sensor with a new one using a scope and found the rising edge is different. The old sensor's rising edge (output signal from 0v to high) is much longer than the new one.Forgot how much exactly. I changed the sensor and the van looks fine now.

Quick Reply: MIL Code 54:No Cam Signal at PCM