Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

gaskets and oil pressure warnig light

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:15 AM
kaekruse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gaskets and oil pressure warnig light

My oil pressure warning light has been coming on. I have not heard any rough noises that would suggest any real engine failure as of now. But my manual says to take it to a repair shop as soon as possible when the warning light comes on. I took it to my dealer and they told me that I had to replace the gaskets and spark plugs which will cost like 900 dollars. I said I will wait a couple of weeks and then call back. After doing some research i found that there are many checks that need to be done to solve an oil light problem. All they did is check for a leek. They didn't even drop the oil pan, check clearance for bearings, or check camshaft parts. In general when the oil warning light comes on. Can someone tell me all the necessary steps to check before fixing anythign at the dealer? I am not sure what I can do on my own but the dealer is trying to say that it will cost me hundreds of dollars to do other checks. They aren't seeing anything other than the oil light so I need to know what checks are supposed to be done just regarding the oil pressure warning light. obvioulsy i checked my oil level and that is ok. The leaking i don't think is the problem as the dealer is saying.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:16 AM
kaekruse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: gaskets and oil pressure warnig light

my car is a 1998 dodge grand caravan se with a lot of miles like 185,000.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:17 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: gaskets and oil pressure warnig light

Try a new oil pressure switch and drive it, If the lite doesn't come back on tell the dealer you fix it. And it only cost you the price of an oil pressure switch. If it comes back on then you need to hook up a gauge and ck pressure.

Quick Reply: gaskets and oil pressure warnig light