Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

FUEL PUMP??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Ignorant
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FUEL PUMP??

HELLO FRIENDS. I AM NEW HERE. I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY CARAVAN 94. I WORK A LITTLE IN MECHANICAL NOT SO MUCH BUT NOT SO IGNORANT AS MY NICK STATES.

MY CARAVAN WAS WORKING VERY FINE. I REPAIRED THE WHOLE MOTOR AND TRANSMISION MYSELF A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO. THERE WAS NO VAN IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD THAT STARTED FASTER THAN MINE, I JUST SHOWED THE KEYS AND IT START, LESS THAN ONE SECOND. SUDDENLY, THE THINGS CHANGED. NOW, IT CRANKS A LOT BEFORE STARTING. IT CRANKS VERY FAST BECAUSE THE BATTERY IS VERY GOOD. AFTER AROUND 5 SECONDS CRANKING, IT STARTS AND DOES NOT FAIL IN THE WHOLE DAY UNTIL I TURN IT OFF AGAIN. IT RUNS SMOOTHLY AND DOES NOT STALLS. I REMOVED THE FUEL HOSE THAT GOES TO THE FUEL INJECTOR RAIL AND TURN THE SWITCH ON, NO FUEL COMES OUT. IF I START IT, AFTER 5 SECONDS, THE FUEL COMES OUT BUT NO PRESSURE AT ALL. I PUT MY EAR IN THE FUEL TUBE AND SOMEBODY ELSE TURN THE SWITCH ON AND NO SOUND OF THE FUEL PUMP CHARGING. YOU KNOW THE USUAL BZZZZ. I SAID, THE FUEL PUMP IS BAD. I TRIED THE FUEL PUMP RELAY BY CHANGING IT WITH THE A/C COMPRESSOR'S ONE TO TEST IF IT WAS GOOD AND IT WAS. SO I ELIMINATED THE POSSIBILITY OF A BAD RELAY. THEN, I PURCHASED A NEW FUEL PUMP AND INSTALLED YESTERDAY. THE SAME PROBLEM, DUH!! DOES ANYBODY HAVE AN IDEA OF THE POSSIBLE DAMAGE??

THANK YOU FROM PUERTO RICO

Old 01-21-2008, 09:20 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: FUEL PUMP??

Did you change the fuel filter too?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Ignorant

Yes, master, sorry I forgot to mention it but the fuel filter is also new, that was the first thing I thought about a couple of weeks before installing the new pump. Any other suggestion??

Old 01-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Ignorant

ANYBODY ELSE ??

Old 01-23-2008, 11:50 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

What type of fuel are you using? And do you think someone may have put something else other than gas into the tank? Can you get your hands on a DRB2 or DRB3. These are mopar scanners. Maybe a bad ASD relay or crank and cam sensors.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Ignorant

I have always used regular unleaded gas. When I changed the fuel pump last Sunday, I emptied and cleaned the hole fuel tank so there's no possibility of something else than gas into the tank. I will try to get one of those scanners you say and will check on both ASD relay and sensors. That's a great idea you have, thank you master.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:27 PM
holtzer1
Rookie

you most likely have a bad fuel injector that is leaking don after it sits. what happens usualy s theres a check valve built into the fuel pump unit that wont let the fuel drop pressure back into the tank after you shut the vehicle off. when you have a bad injector it allows a place for the fuel to lose pressure when sitting, thats why the long crank time. you have to build pressure up through the entire fuel system again. easiest...well, most effective way to find out which injector is the culpret is to remove the fuel rail with the lines attached, flip it over so the injectors are facing up, turn the key on to cycle the fuel pump DO NOT CRANK, and periodicaly look at the injectors, see which injector tip is wet/dripping. with the engine not running, youll have pressure in the rail, but the injectors wont be firing, therefore, the injectors should remain 100% dry.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Ignorant

Hi holtzer1, and thanks for your posting. But I think you missed one part of my message, this one --I REMOVED THE FUEL HOSE THAT GOES TO THE FUEL INJECTOR RAIL AND TURN THE SWITCH ON, NO FUEL COMES OUT. IF I START IT, AFTER 5 SECONDS, THE FUEL COMES OUT BUT NO PRESSURE AT ALL. I PUT MY EAR IN THE FUEL TUBE AND SOMEBODY ELSE TURN THE SWITCH ON AND NO SOUND OF THE FUEL PUMP CHARGING. YOU KNOW THE USUAL BZZZZ. -- The problem is that I do not have pressure on the lines from the beginning. The fuel pump is not charging the system. So, there will be no leak on any injector because there is no pressure. If I remove the fuel line and turn the switch to the on position, the pump should create pressure immediately [I suppose so]. I will check out what master tech said tomorrow. Is very important to scan the vehicle first. Thanks a lot for your help, holtzer1.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:10 AM
holtzer1
Rookie

have you installed a fuel pressure gauge?
what is the initial pressure?
what is the pressure at idle?
what is the pressure at a WOT snap?

the fuel pump IS working, if it wasnt, at least 30 psi, it would not run, as theres not enough pressure to pop off the injectors with enough volume to actually run. in my experiance, just because you cant hear it run, doesnt mean its not running.
I AM ASSUMING THAT IT STARTS...AS YOU STATED ONCE IT RUNNING YOU GET A LITTLE PRESSURE OUT
an asd relay will shut down fuel and spark simultaneously...are you getting spark?

what i was saying is what you are saying...yes, initialy you have no fuel pressure in the lines. where did that pressure go...since the last time it was started? once its started and shut off...there will be pressure in the lines until you start it again..unles you have a bad check valve in the fuel unit, or a bad injector..or possibly a leaking fuel line somewhere. so yes you are correct in saying when you turn the key yo should see pressure immediately....you should be able to pressureize the system, come out 8 hours later and still have pressure in the lines.

i guess the biggest help right now would be to know the fuel pressure readings.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Ignorant

Yes, I guess you are right. I still can not understand something. Even if I have a bad check valve in the sending unit or a bad injector, whichever is causing the fuel pressure to drop while the van is off. Isn't it supposed to gain all the pressure back again when I turn the ignition switch on, before the cranking, so the van will start up fast? That is what is driving me nuts!!

The van starts always and runs perfectly all day, even the longest distance and even the speed. What I said was that with the fuel hose removed from the fuel rail, after 5 seconds of cranking, it comes out gas but at little pressure. So little that I can see the gas pumping out of the hose, you know intermitent pumping. At this time obviously the van will not start, it has the fuel hose removed. I did it just to check out if when the switch is turned on the gas will come out and it does not. The gas does not comes out when I turn the switch on. It only comes out after 5 seconds of cranking.

I also checked the spark and yes, I have spark since the beginning of cranking, no delays. I changed the asd relay with the a/c compressor's one which is the same and no change, I understand the relay is OK.

Well anyway holtzer1, I will get you those fuel pressure readings. It will take me a couple of days because I will have to purchase the gauge, but I will be back with you soon. I appreciate all the help you are giving me. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: FUEL PUMP??