Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Help 2000 caravan

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:20 AM
jcoberley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 2000 caravan

I have a 2000 3.5 caravan that is not throwing a code however untill the engine warms up part of the time after I leave home and let off the gas the engine stalls. It starts right back up however some times I have to keep my foot on the gas for a few seconds before it will idle. It has a fresh tune up and the fuel pump pressure check good. Any ideas? I could sure use the help.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:26 AM
jcoberley
Default RE: Help 2000 caravan

oops I didnt meen to post 3.5 What I wanted it to say was 3.3. Sorry

Old 01-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Ignorant

CHECK OUT THE TEMPERATURE SENSOR. SOMETIMES THIS SENSOR FAILS AND SHOWS NO CODE BUT WHEN YOU SCAN IT WITH A SCANNER THAT HAVE TEMPERATURE METER, YOU WILL NOTE THAT IT SHOWS A VERY HIGH TEMPERATURE EVEN WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD. IN SUCH CASE, SENSOR IS TELLING THE COMPUTER THAT THE ENGINE IS ALREADY HOT SO THE COMPUTER SENDS LESS GAS THAN THE NECESSARY FOR A COLD ENGINE, CAUSING THE ENGINE TO STALL UNTIL IT REACHES NORMAL TEMPERATURE, THEN IT WILL NOT FAIL ANYMORE UNTIL IS COLD AGAIN. THAT MEANS THE SENSOR IS GIVING A FALSE READING. ALSO, SOMETIMES AUTO PARTS SELLS SOME CHEAP REPLACEMENTS SENSORS THAT DOES NOT REACH THE SPECIFIED OHMS FOR YOUR VEHICLE, HAPPENING THE SAME. THAT WAS MY CASE ONCE. IN MY ENGINE [3.0], THE SENSOR WAS SHOWING 250º F WHEN COLD IN THE MORNING FORCING THE INJECTORS TO SEND FEWER GAS. GOOD LUCK!!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:43 PM
onephatcracka
Rookie

how many miles are on this caravan? it is possible that it may be due for a FIC. Fuel injection clean. When you lay off of the throtlebody closes and the only way to get air is through the idle air control motor which may be gumed up which causes lake of air.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:12 PM
holtzer1
Rookie

sounds like a clogged iac motor OR, one of those pesky vacuum lines on top of the throttle body came off.

Quick Reply: Help 2000 caravan