Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

ticking sound at passanger side of engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:18 PM
ponyboy2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking sound at passanger side of engine

I have a 1996 caravan with the 3.0 Mit motor. I rectagangular box is mounted on the passanger side of the engine compartment. I can hear a fairly loud ticking sound from the box and can feel a fibration from the box when the motor is running. I only see one wire connection to the unit.

What is it? Should it be replaced?

Old 01-25-2008, 05:29 PM
holtzer1
Rookie
Default RE: ticking sound at passanger side of engine

can you get a picture of the particular part your reffering to? sounds like a relay, but i need to know whee and which one specificaly. dont wanna give you false info.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:47 PM
ponyboy2

The unit is the black one right behind the fluid bottles.

[IMG]local://upfiles/62154/AA3A934DE8234501876F4E89D3C1E0DA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-25-2008, 06:05 PM
holtzer1
Rookie

figures i would draw a blank on that at this second. i'm trying to find a wiring diagram so i can see what that part is. this goes to sow how many times i've had to replace one of those in my 10 yrs as a mechanic....never. chrysler uses a fairly deep computer system, if it was "bad" and its electronic...it would throw a code. is the check engine light on?

Old 01-25-2008, 06:18 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

It is part of the vacuum fuel recovery system. The noise is normal as long as it is rhythmic. I've heard and had some fairly loud ones. If there is a problem with that system, it WILL set a code. I'm surprised a tech wouldn't know what that is???? Chrysler for Ya!! ....lol

Old 01-25-2008, 06:31 PM
ponyboy2

Yep, it is a very rythmic ticking. At first I thought the belts were hitting something loose. And no check engine light! Well that sounds great.

The other problem I discovered is an oil leak coming from the upper, back part of the engine on the passanger side. I was under the van and the oil path looks like it is towards the top of the engine. I looked all over and could not really see anything. I had all of the seals and end caps replaced when the timer belt was replaced. The leak is small, mostly makes a mess on the back of the engine, but no drips on the ground. The valve cover bolts were a little loose soI tightened them just a little.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:57 PM
holtzer1
Rookie

ORIGINAL: floorslayer1

It is part of the vacuum fuel recovery system. The noise is normal as long as it is rhythmic. I've heard and had some fairly loud ones. If there is a problem with that system, it WILL set a code. I'm surprised a tech wouldn't know what that is???? Chrysler for Ya!! ....lol
well, like i said, i have NEVER had a single problem with one...so why would i familiarize myself with a part that never fails. also...i dont see any emission lines going to it..so how its doing anything with the vapors is beyond me. i'll go look at the one in my 98 and see if it has it. too cold out right now...but i'll look into it.
as for the oil leak...could be plenty of things.
intake
valve covers
end plugs

Old 01-25-2008, 08:46 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

There are vacuum lines that go to that box (or at least should be). There was a time when the Headgaskets were more prominant on the #1 cylinder corner which is that back passenger side of the motor you speak of. Like my former Chrysler "tech" buddy used to say .."just run it...... She'll go or she'll blow" just keep track of the oill consumption....

By the way, I've never had one go bad either or heard of one going bad, but I knew what it was and I'm not an ASE certified tech or Chrysler Tech...

Good luck PONY...

Old 01-26-2008, 12:05 AM
ponyboy2

Floorslayer you are right on! After looking a little closer two additional lines enter the bottom of the unit and one is marked vapor recovery.

Thanks!

Old 01-26-2008, 01:19 AM
holtzer1
Rookie

ORIGINAL: floorslayer1

There are vacuum lines that go to that box (or at least should be). There was a time when the Headgaskets were more prominant on the #1 cylinder corner which is that back passenger side of the motor you speak of. Like my former Chrysler "tech" buddy used to say .."just run it...... She'll go or she'll blow" just keep track of the oill consumption....

By the way, I've never had one go bad either or heard of one going bad, but I knew what it was and I'm not an ASE certified tech or Chrysler Tech...

Good luck PONY...
i can see i'm gonna get the "new guy hazing" i can take it
just because i'm a tech...doesnt mean i know what every single part on a vehicle is without putting my hands on it.
be glad i can sit here and comfortably say that, i'm not one of those know it all...or think they know it all techs. those are the ones that will give people bad advise just to save face.

a little backround on myself, i've worked on everything from farm trucks,tractor, heavy equipment, luxury cars such as bmw, mercedes and jags, all the big 3 and every import you can think of mostly, atv's, 2 stroke and 4 stroke, so thats ALOT of pieces and parts to memorize what every part on every make and model and year of vehicle off the top of my head. so...sorry for the thread highjack..back to topic.

Quick Reply: ticking sound at passanger side of engine