Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Fogged headlamps 96

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:39 AM
narbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fogged headlamps 96

My 96 caravan has the cronic problem of fogged headlamps. They look easy enough to replace, but I want to know where I should buy them from. I looked on Ebay and RockAuto, there is a significant price difference. What's my best choice? It only has 85k and I use it to travel back a forth to the airport, but soon my 15 year old will be 16 and she will be driving it. So, this problem needs to be fixed.
Thanks for he advise!

Old 02-04-2008, 07:33 PM
vlmuke
Professional
Default RE: Fogged headlamps 96

you don't have to replace them they make kits to remove the haze and they work very well I have bought three of them to fix my headlights on three different vehicles you don't need to remove the lamps you can do it with the lights on the car it takes about half an hour to do it contains two different grades of sandpaoer polishing compound of some sort and a sealant it runs 20 bucks at walmart and Parts stores I hightly reccomend them saves big money!!!!! works great they look brand new when done but the only I suggest is to sand them longer than the instructions say I also I heard that polishing compound will work but have never tried but itdefinately worth it to get the kit

Old 02-07-2008, 06:29 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

i agree.. i used it on my headlights on my van.. AND my light bar on my wrecker.. and it made them both look brand new.. dont waiste money replacing the lights.. just buy the kit at advance auto or auto zone.. or w/e parts store you use.. they run about 20 bucks a kit.. and you only need one per vehicle.. like vlmuke said.. about half an hour. follow the instructions and be patient.. and u have ur new headlights

Old 02-07-2008, 11:13 PM
narbo

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it this weekend.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:16 PM
HemiMan02
Professional

You don't even need to buy the kit. All you need is some 1500 and 2000 wet sand paper. Sand the lights with the 1500 and then the 2000. Then if you have a decent buffer apply some compound to the headlights and buff them.....good as new.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:37 AM
vlmuke
Professional

the only thing is it is hard to find 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper other than at an autobody store when I priced they wanted 10.00 per pack and wouldn't sell just one sheet but if you can though that would be great check it out and if you can do that way then I would do it but 20 bucks isn't too bad thought for what you save

Old 02-11-2008, 12:07 AM
TJeepman
Professional

If youcheck the web you will find that toothpaste is being used as well. My Son uses toothpaste to clean his periodically. I looked at his Caravan (1995) the other day. Lenses looked bright. They used to look very yellow. He started using toothpaste about a year ago after I gave him some URLs I searched out. A baking soda type such as Arm & Hammer should work well. Take a look at this site: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/648036...ht_lens_ideas/

Old 02-11-2008, 08:04 PM
vlmuke
Professional

I don't know about the tooth paste trick my wife said it would fix scratched cd's tried it and all it did was scratch the crap out of it ruined it at least before the cd skipped on a couple songs but after that wouldn't play at all so I would hate to ruin you lenses use the kits they work just my 2 cents though

Old 02-11-2008, 10:33 PM
TJeepman
Professional

Nothing seems to have "full bill of health" for cleaning lenses per the following site, not even the special (and expensive) cleaners. Some use PAM, some use inexpensive toothpaste, some use nail polish remover, some use the special cleaners. For every person that says a particular product works, there is another person that says "nay". My Son is happy using toothpaste on his 1995 Caravan.
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf60121510.tip.html

Quick Reply: Fogged headlamps 96