Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

HELP my instrumental cluster stop working!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Robind
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP my instrumental cluster stop working!

Today I got home and park in my drive way. Put in park and turn it off and took key out of ignition. Well I notice the miles just stay lit and only said 45 and the prn stay light but the d don't show. But this shouldn'tn stay lit after shut off and key out. So I start the van again and notice the instrumental cluster wasn't working at all no speedodometer, miles but when shut off just 45 shows, the prnd wasnt' showing at all but only when it shut off it shows the prn but not the d. The gas guage isn't working, rpm or the c and h wasn't working it either. The thing is my 2000 dodge caravan only has 45,000 miles on it. I do have extended warranty. And hope it will be under warranty. Does anyone know what this problem is??? Is this expensive to fix??? HELP! PLEASE!!!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: HELP my instrumental cluster stop working!

new printed circuit board.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Robind

Is this common with the 2000 dodge caravans? I have extended warranty that will be coming to end around June of this year. So I had this van for about 6 years now. It has very low miles on it and bought when it only had 32,000 miles on it.
Is this part very expensive and the how about the labor? Should this be covered under the extended warranty?
I see alot of electric stuff covered by not a printed circuit board. I do see a electronic instument cluster in there. I am looking at the book of what it covers. That is what I came close to it. Is that what it is?
Thanks,
Robin

Old 02-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Robind

Also the miles that are lit up still is 45 and the prn is lit too will this drain my battery by morning? I don't understand why it is light after the van is off. Weird!

Old 02-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Robind

Well took my van to the dodge dealer. The computer had froze up and need to be shut down and rebooted. Just like a regular computer he said. Now its working fine he said! So just have to pay for diagnosis and the oil change total of $80!
Never thought that you had to reboot a van before? So how do they shut down and reboot a van??? Is it something you can do at home? What causes this?

Thanks,
Robin

Old 02-06-2008, 01:13 PM
webbee
Professional

Disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 minutes (you will lose your presets). Alternatively pull the IOD fuse in the front engine fuse compartment. The IOD will reboot the BCM while the battery disconnect will do all the computers.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:49 AM
vipergg
Rookie

webbee is correct just pull the IOD fuse for a few minutes and this resets the bcm which basically controlls anything electronic inside the vehicle . This will also save you that $85 dealer fee .

Old 02-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Robind

Well finally got my van back at 5 pm tonite. They call me this morning at 7 am saying they took my van out of the garage and pulled in the front and they said my brakes felt soft or spongy. I was like how could this be I just had my front and back brakes fix in July along with the wheel cylinders. Once in awhile I notice it feeling weird too but it was raining or snowing. Well anyways they got it covered under the extended warranty it was internal thing in the master cyclinder so they had to replace the master cyclinder! I am glad I ask them to keep it extra day as we had a storm tuesday nite and all day wednesday we got over a foot of snow. So I hope it don't need more work again for awhile. I have 54,622 miles on my 2000 dodge caravan.
So where is this IOD fuse thingy? I don't know much about them except where the gas goes and driving it. lol!

Old 02-07-2008, 11:25 PM
ghlkal

ORIGINAL: Robind
So where is this IOD fuse thingy?
There's a fuse box under the hood. Remove the cover and the fuses are labeled.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Robind

thanks, now I am getting upset with my van. I drove it again today and the guages go out interminately and ABS light comes on as well. So at the stop sign I put in park and turn the van off. And than the Abs light went out and the gauges work the rest of the ride there and back. I don't understand why this is doing it interminately when Dodge says there is nothing wrong.
So why is this doing it and only sometimes?

Quick Reply: HELP my instrumental cluster stop working!