Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

99 caravan brakes come and go

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 05:26 PM
jpryorx2
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 caravan brakes come and go

my wife was driving our van today got to the end of our street and the pedal went to the floor. luckly there was noone coming because our street meets up to a state highway. so she gets it back home i get in and the brakes are working fine. i took it for a drive and they felt spongey but slowy stopped the van most of the time there was one stop there was nothing. i was doing 25mph and started stopping 150-200 feet early and the van barely slowed down. the abs did kick in but still nothing and i ended up running the stop sign. i've checked the fluid many times and it has not lost any fluid. so does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong just all of the sudden like this? my first thought would be the master cylinder but t's just strange to me that they would work some of the time. also when i called to check on a price for a new master the guy said theres a special way to bleed them and if you don't do it that way it will damage somthing and will need to go the dealer is this true?

thanks
jason

Old 03-09-2008, 06:27 PM
olstoro
Default RE: 99 caravan brakes come and go

I had the same problem with a plymouth voyager........... I replaced the master cylinder and it was fine!

Old 03-09-2008, 07:39 PM
jpryorx2
Professional

how did you bleed yours? one page i found says you have to bleed all the abs valves at the lines. and a family member had to take one to the dealer because no matter what he did he couldn't get them working. did you do anything special with yours?

jason

Old 03-18-2008, 11:14 AM
olstoro

My voyager was an older model so it didnt have abs
But i have done brakes on other abs equipped vehicles
and it is the same bleading tecnique on any of them!

Old 03-18-2008, 07:10 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

jason

What year is your van? because 1991 thru 1993 have a 685 recall for abs. If you have abs.

Quick Reply: 99 caravan brakes come and go