Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2003 Caravan AC NOT fixed

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:57 PM
arntzj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Caravan AC NOT fixed

After a 900-mile trip while using the AC, the front passenger floor board of my 2003 Caravan was soaking wet. The dealer immediately diagnosed it as a drain problem requiring the installation of a 90-degree tube and O-ring. This is the same fix I've seen recommended many times in on-line forums, but in my case, it didn't work. On the trip back, after a day's drive, the floor was again soaked. I can see the new drain tube at the firewall when I raise the hood, so I know they did the work. Is it possible it was done incorrectly? Is there another potential explanation? (No, it's not rain leaking in)

Old 03-21-2008, 07:32 AM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: 2003 Caravan AC NOT fixed

Could it be a coolant leak instead of A/C condensate?

Old 03-21-2008, 11:33 AM
arntzj

No, it's definitely not coolant. I suspect either the dealership didn't install the requisite o-ring (not evident on engine side of firewall) or they did a poor job of cleaning out the drain (something still stuck inside).

Old 03-24-2008, 11:27 PM
tazman444
Rookie

I believe there is a recent recall about excessive condensation causing the radio to short out. They have a repair for it and it may solve your problem. I had the same issue and the recall repair took care of it in my 2001 Grand Caravan.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:25 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

If you have nothing coming out of the drain, you could have blockage up inside the heater box. Use a small thin wire and run it thru the drain and see if something comes out.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:47 AM
arntzj

Since posting this problem, I discovered that the drain tube had not been properly reset by the tech when he installed the O-ring, so I removed it, ran a thin wire into the drain until it stopped a few times to be sure any blockage was removed, then reinstalled the tube. When I ran the AC, I discovered that the wet carpet problem occurs only when I use the recirculation feature. Condensate does come out of the drain onto the ground as it should now, but it would be nice to be able to use the recirculation during really hot weather this summer.

Quick Reply: 2003 Caravan AC NOT fixed