Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Major Issues with Dodge Caravan- HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Jules47714
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Issues with Dodge Caravan- HELP!

My 2002 Dodge Caravan has 59,000 miles on it. I went to get the 60,000 check up. The dealer performed a 23 point inspection and came up with the following:

1. Replace Rack and Pinion ($807.00)
2. Replace Shift Solenoid Gasket ($90.24)
3. An oil leak test showed leaking head gaskets. Replacement cost $926.00

So I am looking at almost $2,000 to get this van repaired. I need an opinion on if anyone thinks these are legitimate problems. Keep in mind I am a 32 year old woman going into a man filled dealership. Any advice would help me greatly. This board also helped me with my speedometer issue a year ago when the dealership wanted $500.00 to do it and I did it myself for free!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 03:36 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Major Issues with Dodge Caravan- HELP!

First ask why!

Why do they think the rack needs to be replaced? Caravans of this vintage had a problem with moaning power steering. There are a few technical service bulletins out there about revised power steering hoses. But the biggest cause of P.S. noise is a clogged filter screen in the PS fluid reservoir (no way to clean it). My good friend had this in her '95 Caravan. Shop quoted her $800 for new rack. We put in a new reservoir for $20. Problem gone for 5,000 miles now.

Shift solenoid gasket is a common leak. Any shop can do that repair. Should you replace it? Depends on how badly it's leaking. You might want to take it to a reputable transmission shop and see what they would charge.

Leaking head gaskets? I'm very skeptical. Leaking Valve cover gaskets? Very probable. I'd take it to another shop and have them steam clean the engine and add dye to the oil. Then take it back in a week and use a black light to see where the oil is coming from. Valve cover gasket replacements should run about $150. Again, depending on how bad the leak is, you might be able to put this off for a while.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:01 PM
tazman444
Rookie

These prices seem extremely inflated. I doubt the work actually needs to be done. Unfortunately alot of shops still take advantage of women.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:33 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I would find out why these parts need to be replace, and how much powertrain coverage you still have. Solenoid packgaskets don't leak, the solenoid pack does. I would agree with RickMN to clean the engine compartment and add dye to the engine. Also next you go to a shop, take someone who knows a little about cars and can B/S the person you are talking too.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:30 PM
alwaysdutch
Rookie

An oil test to confirm a leaking head gasket?? Yeah...try to find another shop...

Old 04-08-2008, 06:22 PM
COYOTE10663
Professional

ORIGINAL: alwaysdutch

An oil test to confirm a leaking head gasket?? Yeah...try to find another shop...
I'm guessing they found antifreeze in the oil. Outside the motor would most likely be valve cover gaskets. ( An easy, cheap fix for a do-it-yourself'er )

Old 04-10-2008, 10:17 PM
sumncguy
Veteran

Well I know that my 1999 Voyager needed a rack but at over 100k. Seems odd that it would go at 59k. Im wiff Rick ... sounds fishy to me .. I would take it to a second dealer and a local independant.

As a side note, yes, replacing the rack at the dealer is a $800 bump on the nose.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:10 PM
HemiMan02
Professional

Rack and pinion. This very well could be a legit problem. I have run into several of them leaking fluid into the boots. Not excessively but the end seals do go bad. The price sounds about typical for any dealership figuring about $125 an hour (where I'm located) and the rack on the van is quite time consuming and tedious. If you haven't been needing to add fluid on a regular basis i wouldn't do it.

Shift solenoid. This is a common problem. I have seen them leak both at the solenoid pack to trans mating surface and from the solenoid pack itself which is not serviceable. normally when they leak you can see fuild run down the side within a few minutes of cleaning it off.

I would ask to see where the leak is coming from.

Never heard of an oil leak test. I've heard of a compression test and cylider leak down test but nevber an oil leak test. There is even a test to see if you are getting exhaust gasses in your coolant.

I would tell them to hook up their spill free funnel and fill the sytem with coolant, leave the funnel on with coolant in it and watch for bubbles. If you get a ton of bubbles then it is very possible its a head gasket.

Either way i hope this helps in your decision making.

Quick Reply: Major Issues with Dodge Caravan- HELP!