Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

99 Dodge Caravan Problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:59 PM
olstoro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Dodge Caravan Problems!!

I have a 1999 Dodge Caravan and the previous owners let things go on it without replacing anything!
My first problem is when you lock the doors with the key fab.... the rear hatch makes this nasty grinding noise
I opened it up and a hunk of the plastic gear snapped... still locks, but i'm gonna go get a new one!
My second problem that just started is when the automatic transmission changes gear it jults or kicks,
the axles seem fine and does it worst in 1st gear... probably because it's going so slow!
My third problem is the oil light and air bag light are always on!
My fourth problem is the horn doesn't work..... I jumped it from the battery and the horns work, but just not with the button!
My fifth problem is the heater work only on high but when it's off you can still feel some heat coming from the vents!

If i could get some opinions i would really appreciate it!
Thank you

Old 04-06-2008, 07:04 AM
tazman444
Rookie
Default RE: 99 Dodge Caravan Problems!!

No.1 it sounds as if something was blocking the latch when they closed the liftgate and it damaged the mechanism.
No.2 is probably the transmission is on it's way out. Bring it to a transmissoion shop and have them test-drive it.
No.3 Not sure about this problem. Bad sensor? Faulty readings from the BCM?
No.4 Possible pinched wire in the steering column or at the base of it.
No.5 Behind the glovebox is a blower resistor that is prone to blowing.

I don't know what you paid for the van but if the transmission is going it will run you around $1500 or more for a rebuilt or $500 and up from an auto wrecker. The rest of you problems will run you around $500 or more to fix. If you bought this van saftied I'd be wanting my money back. I do believe a working horn is part of a safety check, at least here in Canada it is.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:23 AM
olstoro

Concerning the tranny.....
It seems more like a computer issue than it going bad.... it feels like the rpm
is getting up higher than when the computer should shift, It's not major but
you can still feel the jolt!

Old 04-11-2008, 07:43 PM
HemiMan02
Professional

oil pressure could be to low or the oil pressure sending unit is unplugged or sending a bad signal.

Horn and airbag, did you check the fuses?

trans, check the fluid level. Low fluid can cause a delayed shift (results in high rpm and jolt when shifting) If the fluid level is fine then most likely it is an internal problem and visit your local trans shop.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:43 PM
happyreefer

99 caravan had a recall for the clock spring in the steering wheel. take it to the dealer and they should fix it for free.

Clock spring is what keeps the electronics working on the steering wheel while allowing it to move and steer the vehicle

Old 10-01-2008, 11:09 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The liftgate actuator is bad and causing your grinding sound.
Ck the fluid in the trans, if that is good. Then take it to the dodge dealer and have them hook up the DRB3 and ck for codes and perform a clutch test and write down the CVI's.
Are the rockers making a lot of noise? If not then you should have oil pressure, replace the oil pressure switch.
Air bag lite on, you may have an open driver sqib code, replace the clockspring and this will fix both. Also you may have lost speed control too.
Your heater need a blower resistor.
Once you get the information on the transmission, just post it or you can send a pm and I maybe able to help you with what I know.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:28 AM
rlrobian

Problems 3&4 may be related. If you have a failed clock spring you will get the symptoms of 1. airbag light 2. no horn 3. curise control will not work. If you have all three check the internet for the SAFETY RECALL on your van. The repair of the clockspring is covered AT NO COST TO YOU by the safety recall. Had this issue last year with my 99 Carivan, did the research, presented the van, symptoms and research to local dealer. Repair done no cost to me. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: 99 Dodge Caravan Problems!!