Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Repeated Sensor replacement, code 057

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:38 PM
markeydsl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repeated Sensor replacement, code 057

I keep taking my vehicle to the dodge dealer here and they keep replacing one of the sensors per the error code that they get. I think the guy told me that it was code 057 or the cam sensor, to replace one of the sensors, although he has told me that there appears to be nothing wrong with the sensor, and he cannot determine what the issue is.

here is what happens. The van Check engine light comes on, the Van looses power (seems to loose gusto, Kind of drags), and then the light goes off and everything is fine again.This all happens in about 30 seconds or less.It happens sparatically, sometimes several times in a row, and then not at all for a couple of days. Each time the van looses power. If you are sitting at a stop, it will die, but restarts right away. The code always clears before it gets to the shop. Even when they have it hooked up to the computer, it produces the code for a cam sensor. It has been replaced 3 times now, and each time there is nothing wrong with the sensor.

I have a 1997 Dodge Caravan ES All wheel drive. Even my cousin who works exclusively on these vehicles is at a loss as to what could cause this issue. He works on a fleet of Caravans for a state facility, and has told me that they don't have a fix for this issue.I have been told that it seems to start happening sometime after about 60K miles. Mine started doing this at 92K.

I am wondering if anyone has any idea what could be causing this, as it is getting expensive to keep replacing the Cam Sensor, when that does not appear to be the issue. Also, we have had all the wiring replaced for this sensor, as our request, since we determined that is was not the actual sensor, we assumed that it might be the wiring, but that also has not fixed the issue.

Thank you

Markeydsl

Old 04-15-2008, 12:42 PM
alwaysdutch
Rookie
Default RE: Repeated Sensor replacement, code 057

I am in search for a camshaft sensor in my '96 3.0 but I am not sure if that will solve my problem. I have learned that other sensors can trigger a certain code. The camshaft sensor is part of a combination of sensors and relays. For example (and mentioned on my current forum question), the fuelpump and camchaft sensor are being powered therough the PCM and the ASD relay. If something goes wrong with those items, the ASD relay will stop powering the fuelpump and the camshaft sensor (crankshaft sensor as well if you have a 3.3 or 3.8).

Any of thos items might cause your problem. I am not a mechanic, I just learn as I go......

Old 04-15-2008, 10:00 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

markeydsl
I could not find a code 057, have you cousin hook up the DRB3 and ck the codes. The code maybe P0340 ? I have seen the flex plate cause some crank and cam sensor codes.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:23 PM
markeydsl

Ok, contacted him, and you are correct the code is P0340? he said that I should mention that we have changed the Cam sensor x 2, and the O2 sensor once, Also he said that on the fleet vehicles, they have also tried replacing the Brain, the Fuel pump, and the wiring for both sensors.
I should also say that this Van, even though it is a 97, still has under 90K miles. It has been very well taken care of, and has all maintenance done on a regular basis. We have followed the most comprehensive maintenance schedule recommended by Dodge.

We have had very few issues with this vehicle, up until this issue.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:30 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Then you may have a crack flex plate. and being an all wheel drive, it takes a little more work to remove the transmission to inspect the plate.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:57 PM
markeydsl

a cracked flex plate. how would this have happended? what would be the cause of this issue?

Quick Reply: Repeated Sensor replacement, code 057