Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

why is the sliding door lock not working automatically anymore? 05 caravan

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Caravanor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

myGC: Thank you for the detailed and prompt reply! I understand.

However I'm confused as to which side door (left or right) is missing the hole to reach the torx screw, as I thought I had read it was the right (passenger) side that was missing the torx screw hole. Maybe it varies from from year. Might it also be possible to use a sheet metal cutter or snips to cut a slot up to where the hole should be?

As for the Dorman actuator, yes I've seen mostly negative reviews on Amazon. However 1aauto.com just told me they have sold 545 of these and no returns; I don't know over what time period. They said they use various manufacturers, currently Dorman. Their part # is
1ADLA00087 which should be the Dorman 746-259.

Last edited by Caravanor; 06-10-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:42 PM
myGC
Default Passenger door needed to be drilled

My Passenger door was missing the hole for the screw, i can't speak on the drivers side, haven't had to work on that one yet!

If yours doesn't need to be drilled, great!!! That's the way it SHOULD be.

If you do need to drill. I would suggest a drill. If you use snips you'll need to cut, and the warping action of snips will leave it looking like garbage. (yes i know it's hidden)
The drill is a nice clean hole. I spray painted the hole after removing it so that the metal didn't rust. If i would have used matching paint, someone might think it was a factory hole.
I'm sure you could cut a slot to the screw and it will work, but it won't be a job you'll be proud of.

if you do drill, take a center punch(or a nail) and line it up with the shiny screw. hit the nail with a hammer to make a very small dent in the metal. that will make it so your drill doesn't "walk" while starting to drill, especially if you don't have a good metal drill bit.

As for the doorman parts, I've had other stuff from doorman, and so far they have always done the job. I guess I don't have too good of a reason for not saving the $30 and going with them this time.

Originally Posted by Caravanor
myGC: Thank you for the detailed and prompt reply! I understand.

However I'm confused as to which side door (left or right) is missing the hole to reach the torx screw, as I thought I had read it was the right (passenger) side that was missing the torx screw hole. Maybe it varies from from year. Might it also be possible to use a sheet metal cutter or snips to cut a slot up to where the hole should be?

As for the Dorman actuator, yes I've seen mostly negative reviews on Amazon. However 1aauto.com just told me they have sold 545 of these and no returns; I don't know over what time period. They said they use various manufacturers, currently Dorman. Their part # is
1ADLA00087 which should be the Dorman 746-259.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:29 PM
Mocsnlinsa

My driver side is stuck closed, the locks work, but it will not open.
I think it has to do with the gas door which was stuck for short period of time in the open position......any advice. Thank you

Quick Reply: why is the sliding door lock not working automatically anymore? 05 caravan