Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

RE: 3.3L Engine. Stalling when damp or raining out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:46 PM
elcityroller
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3.3L Engine. Stalling when damp or raining out.

Sorry Mods/Admins/Members, I had to make a new post about this, because the last one would not let me reply to it. Just kept getting an error.

I recently purchased a 1995 Dodge Caravan. 3.3L engine.When it rains out or is damp outside, the engine will stall. I still have power to everything but the power-steering. It's easy enough to pop it in neutral and start it then back to drive, but also seems pretty dangerous when on the highway. There is no distributor rotar or cap, the spark to the plugs is generated from a rectangle box on the side of the engine. It was mentioned to me that it could be the module in this box, or the coil. The plugs and wiring are brand new. I also noticed when I spray the box with a water displacer meant for wiring, it will not act up as much when damp out. Could somebody tell me the name of this box, and the components that are contained inside. As it is, I was led to believe that there is a coil and module inside this box.

Thanks for taking the time to read and possibly help me!

-Brian
BillRon Replied this with.

That is your DIS module (distributorless ignition system) It works as though each of your spark wires has its own coil. You can google it to learn more about it. I believe some have a seal on the bottom that may go bad. Usually it is packed with a hardened silicone. Make sure it didn't crack and pull your wires off and spray a water displacer in the connectors. Hairspray works well if you have used your other up.

I have since been to the wreckers, got a next to new DIS Module. I replaced it, yet the stalling continued. And only when it is on wet roads. It's almost as if the gas flow is being interupted. Could it be the wiring to my fule pump/sending unit that is shorting when wet and stopping gas flow?

Thank's for your reply BillRon

Any more help with this would be greatly appreciated.

-Brian.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:09 AM
BillRon

I would be very suspicous of one of the plug wire boots not being on all the way on since you say they are new. I would also check to make sure my connector to the DIS mod is not cracked. If those prove ok check make sure the fuel relay isn't cracked. If your problem is in deed moisture any part of a defectiveignition systemmay be faultingwhen moisture gets in it. Also be leary of vaccum leaks. I am not a dodge mechanic. Iwas a diesel mechanic for many years who has very limited time to work on my caravan but I do all of the work on it I have had to come to this site for questions. Actually its my wife's van and is often a part of my "honey do" list.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:44 AM
elcityroller

Thanks for the input. I will check the relays, and I will check the DIS connector. I will definately check the plug boots as well. I'm gonna have to get underneat and go along the fuel pump wiring, just to be sure it's not exposed anywhere.

Thanks again for your time and knowledge!

I'll report back.

-Brian

Old 06-14-2008, 11:55 AM
elcityroller

Cam Shaft Position Sensor. GO figure lol

ALso, I think the fuel filter is FILTHY. How often should they be changed? Every 10 years?

Old 06-15-2008, 08:33 PM
spat

How did you determin cam sensor? Be carful about replacing sensors based on a code. Codes tell you that something in that system was out of range not that the component is bad. Also it is easy to get an eroniuse code in the event of an engine stall. Have you replaced it and all is good now?

Owners manual will indicate the intervale for fuel filter replacement in the maintenance schedule. As a general rule 30K miles should work but some manufacturers recomend more frequint.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:04 PM
elcityroller

Well the Van is 13 years old, and I'm only the third owner... I don't think it's ever been replaced. How I came to the conclusion that it is a cam sensor, is I sprayed it down with a water displacer/sealer, and drove through some gnarly puddles, not one stall. That sealer wont last forever. Any suggestions on sealing it permanitaly? Or should I just go ahead and replace it.?

Thanks a ton for all your help and advice. Greatly appreciated.

- Brian

Old 06-15-2008, 10:37 PM
spat

well if you could determine the exact location of water penetration you could just seal it with silicone. Permatex ultra grey is a good choice. resists solvents and heat but easy to remove later.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:43 PM
spat

I mis spoke on the solvent part. It resists oil and fuel as solvents. carb cleaner will loosen it up in the open air, but not as a gasket. Not sure why, guess it needs interaction with oxygen or something like that.

Quick Reply: RE: 3.3L Engine. Stalling when damp or raining out.