Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2004 Dodge Caravan stalling after start up

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Capt. Z
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Dodge Caravan stalling after start up

I've got a 2004 Dodge Caravan with about 100.000 miles on. Just recently the engine sometimes stalls out right after start up, but after a few tries all is fine and the van rides normal. This doesn't happen evefry time I start the car and it doesn't matter if the motor is cold or normal operation temp.

Any idea what could cause this?

Old 07-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Carbuff2
Default RE: 2004 Dodge Caravan stalling after start up

On older Caravans I had that...the throttle body needed cleaning.

Make sure to use an intake cleaner for PLASTIC. Try not to get any spray on the TPS (throttle position sensor). I spray the ceaner on a rag now and wipe the butterfly and bore.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Capt. Z

Where do I find the Throttle body?

Old 07-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Carbuff2

From the air filter housing, follow the round tube towards the left side (driver's side in the US) to the metal piece on the engine. You can remove the black rubber intake and then you can see the butterfly valve.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Capt. Z

I just took a look and saw the airfilter with a huge hose going toward the throttle housing. I will buy some cleaner tomorrow and than spray it. It looks like there is a sensor before the throttle housing. What kind of sensor is that?

Old 07-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Carbuff2

Intake Temperature Sensor probably. Don't forget to connect it back up after your service.

Handle all sensors with care. That's why I no longer spray the cleaner in...I just wipe, using several rags that I soak in the cleaner. Try and get the front side AND back side, and the edges of the butterfly.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:16 AM
jeremywatson

Of course cleaning the throttle body is a great idea, and thanks for posting the suggestion. Mine too is starting to get a little rough at start-up every once in a while, and I've just started thinking about what might be the cause. I'll be cleaning the TB this weekend.

By the way, I've had great success in the past cleaning TB's on other cars by removing the entire TB and removing the sensors before cleaning to avoid damaging any of them. I also manage to get the TB MUCH cleaner that way. Do you have any idea how big of a chore it is to remove the TB from a Caravan? I just read your post, and haven't had a chance to go out and take a look yet, but I thought someone here might know.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:18 AM
twiddler

Originally Posted by jeremywatson
Of course cleaning the throttle body is a great idea, and thanks for posting the suggestion. Mine too is starting to get a little rough at start-up every once in a while, and I've just started thinking about what might be the cause. I'll be cleaning the TB this weekend.

By the way, I've had great success in the past cleaning TB's on other cars by removing the entire TB and removing the sensors before cleaning to avoid damaging any of them. I also manage to get the TB MUCH cleaner that way. Do you have any idea how big of a chore it is to remove the TB from a Caravan? I just read your post, and haven't had a chance to go out and take a look yet, but I thought someone here might know.

Thanks again for your suggestion.
Based on the Haynes Manual, it is just a few screws and the Accelerator cable.

The air intake manifold also comes of with easy.

I have a 2003 Caravan and just did the TB cleaning. Of good note, make sure the fluid is rated for carburetors and Oxygen sensors!

Quick Reply: 2004 Dodge Caravan stalling after start up