Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2001 Caravan AWD Blown Transfer Case X3

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Tom Anderson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Caravan AWD Blown Transfer Case X3

I've blown the transfer case 3 times in the last 50000 miles, only 108000 on the car. Tires are fine, and tranny seems to be as well. No explaination from the dealer and no guarantee it won't happen again. Any ideas or options?

Old 09-04-2008, 09:06 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are your tires all the same size, brand, tire pressure and worn evenly?

Old 09-05-2008, 11:41 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Also ck you driveshaft too. and rear diff. and be sure all the tires are the same size and make, like rabbler had posted. Oh always ck fluid levels.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Tom Anderson
Default Transfer Boxes

Yes, all the tires are the same size and brand. No uneven wear, in fact these tires were new when the 2nd transfer case blew. Chrysler has checked the shafts and differentials and said,"We don't know why this keeps happening, but for $3500 we'll fix again." Nobody seems to have a clue.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:40 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting...
I've never seen a blown transfer case on a caravan. Never mind 3 on the same vehicle.
Fixed lots of leaks though.

Can you elaborate on 'blown'? Do you know exactly what's failing on them?
Are the gears stripping, bearings failing, oil leaking out,housing cracking etc.
I would maybe look at the rear axle and see if it is binding or the rear brakes are dragging causing too much load on the transfercase.

Any weird vibrations while driving? (before failure)
Has the van ever been in a bad accident?

Old 09-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Tom Anderson
Default Transfer Cases

"Blown"? The first 2 times the inside seals ruptured causing the bearings to fry and then the outside seal would go causing entire failure. The 3rd time I was driving on the freeway, felt a slight vibration, looked in the mirror to see white smoke(gear oil) billowing from the car, totally burnt box. The van did have a new transmission installed prior to all of the problems, by Chrysler, under warranty. The original owner somehow fried it towing his family's ski boat every weekend. I had the tranny checked, by p/n, for compatibility. Chrysler says it is the correct unit and cannot be the problem. I had the shafts looked at also, seem to be fine. Don't know what else it could be?

Old 09-08-2008, 06:11 PM
COMP
Rookie

is there a cooler for the case ??

Old 09-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Tom Anderson
Default Bad Cases

I'm not positive. There is a cooler forward of the case, but I think its the tranny cooler. I spent an hour on the phone with Chrysler customer service and let's just say it amounted total bull****! They deny anything else is wrong with the van and because its out of warranty, too bad.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:43 PM
COMP
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tom Anderson
I'm not positive. There is a cooler forward of the case, but I think its the tranny cooler. I spent an hour on the phone with Chrysler customer service and let's just say it amounted total bull****! They deny anything else is wrong with the van and because its out of warranty, too bad.
never dealt with one ,,but it is Very strange

Old 09-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Tom Anderson
Default Dealer Fraud Too!

So I contacted Chrysler parts at the factory, to get the exact p/n I need to look for a lightly used transfer case. In talking, I mentioned I didn't want to spend the $3000 I was quoted at the dealership. Turns out the Mopar price, brand new, is only $1800. So, if you're ever in San Luis Obispo, Ca. NEVER go to Cole Chrsler Dodge!

Quick Reply: 2001 Caravan AWD Blown Transfer Case X3