Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

04 Grand Caravan Sxt Heater/ A/c Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008 | 07:30 AM
shastylz
|
Question 04 Grand Caravan Sxt Heater/ A/c Problem

I have a 04 grand Caravan Sxt with a 3.8 in it. The other day i drove it to the store everything was working fine but when i can back to the car and started begining to drive home i noticed that no air at all was coming out of my front vents no matter how high of a setting i put it on. The rear was blowing air but will only blow cold air out the rear and no air at all out the front. I tested the fuse it was good tested the relay it was good any other ideas other than replacing a whole new blower motor?

Thank you so much for your time

Old 12-25-2008 | 04:37 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

Normal or electronic temp control?
Its possible the blower motor or resistor have failed.
Check for power and ground at the blower motor. If you have both the motor is bad.

Old 12-26-2008 | 07:02 AM
shastylz
|

I have Normal Temp Control. how do i test for Power and Ground to Motor

Old 12-26-2008 | 06:32 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

A 12v test light will suffice.
Behind the glove box is the blower resistor. The 2 wire plug goes to the blower motor. Probe that connector with the test light and the fan turned on. If it lights up you have power (Green wire I think). You can manually supply a ground via jumper wire connected to the other wire (Black I think) this should cause the blower motor to spin. If it doesn't replace the motor.
The blower resistor is a very very commonly failed part and could very well be the cause of your inop blower motor.

Last edited by rabbler; 12-26-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-27-2008 | 06:45 AM
shastylz
|

Just curious so i dont hurt my vehicle do i test while the wires are plugged into the resistor or unpluged

Old 12-27-2008 | 03:07 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

Plugged in.

Old 12-27-2008 | 07:21 PM
shastylz
|

ok i left it plugged into the resistor and hit it with the test light and it lit up and no motor spin so im thinking new motor is needed what do you think>?

Old 12-27-2008 | 08:46 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

You need to verify ground too. There has to be a complete circuit for the fan to work.
I just thought of this. Unplug the 2 wire fan motor from the resistor. If you can, connect the test light to the terminals inside the resistor connector. If all is good the test light should light up and you need a blower motor. If it doesn't I would suspect the blower resistor. I believe the resistor is on the ground side of the circuit.

Old 12-28-2008 | 06:29 AM
shastylz
|

Ok I will try that. thanks so much for your help on this

Old 01-06-2009 | 07:59 PM
shastylz
|

Well i just installed a brand new blower motor and still no air out the vents. ANY IDEAS?.. Could it be at my switch

Quick Reply: 04 Grand Caravan Sxt Heater/ A/c Problem