Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

02 Grand Caravan Compressor Noise??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 12:31 PM
zenon17
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Grand Caravan Compressor Noise??

From time to time I get a loud rattling noise that speeds and and slows down with the engine speed. To get it to stop, I have to pull over, shut off the engine, and try starting again till it stops. The sound seems to be coming from the air conditioning compressor. It doesn't seem to matter if I have the heating/cooling system on or not. Could it be the clutch making the sound since I recall reading at one time that it can happen.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:15 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

There is a recall for the a/c and it would only be good up to 70k. The recall is to replace the compressor and flash the pcm.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:15 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The compressor and clutch shouldn't be engaged with the heater system turned off.
The bearing on the Compressor clutch pulley rotates any time the engine is running so it's possible this is your noise but it not common for the noise to come and go. Bearings usually make a rumbling growling noise that is constant but will change pitch with engine RPM.
See if you can narrow down the noise with a stethoscope, rubber hose, or pry bar pressed to your ear when the noise occurs. Generally the loudest component is the faulty one.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:22 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

The compressor could be sized and is could the nosie that is being heard. Or the air gap on the clutch is not in specs and is hitting the compressor,when rotating.

Quick Reply: 02 Grand Caravan Compressor Noise??