Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Cannot recharge A/C 1995 Caravan

Old 05-20-2009, 11:47 AM
marcusmpe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot recharge A/C 1995 Caravan

So I was trying to recharge my A/C and was having some problems. I can successfully discharge the system by pushing down the valve with a screwdriver, and also was able to discharge it through the charging hose and adapter. Let me know if I am doing anything wrong here:
  1. So I screw on the Freon can
  2. Connect the other end of the hose/adapter to the valve
  3. Screw in the pin to the can to puncture the seal
  4. Back it out to release the Freon
I hear it going in for about 5 seconds, but it seems like it is just pressurizing the hose because the can never gets really cold, only cool. It never empties and I try reconnecting the valve end, but to no avail.

I haven't done this before to this Caravan, but have successfully done it to a different 1995 Dodge Caravan not even an hour earlier with the same hose and adapter. I tried two different adapters and ended us wasting 2 cans of Freon.

I'll be going on a road trip tomorrow so I'll probably just end up taking it into CarX unless there is something I'm missing.

Any help would be appreciated

Old 05-20-2009, 09:25 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF

Your problem could be a plugged H-valve. Thats the block with lines going into the bulkhead. The early minivan has a sight window to ck for freon level, if you see bubbles then you need more freon. The sight window would be below the jack.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cannot recharge A/C 1995 Caravan