Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Issue with veh starting and 2nd possible related issue, more in comments

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009 | 11:10 PM
marshallguy
|
Default Issue with veh starting and 2nd possible related issue, more in comments

00 Dodge Grand Caravan, issue with vehicle starting and it slows while in drive then pops back to normal.?

I have a 00 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3.3L

Problem: Today I went to start it and it wouldn't turn over, tried second time nothing, finally third time it started. When I turned the key the first two times there was no sound just sounded like battery was dead. Second issue to go along with the first as I think it may relate is that when I was driving down the road today, about half a block from my home the vehicle then seemed like it dropped in speed real quick. It seemed like it went from 25mph to 15mph all at once, but it was still at 25mph, then all of a sudden it just popped back into normal speed. Now im not a mechanic obviously, but my signs would say ALTERNATOR for first issue, not sure if same for 2nd.

Thanks in advance for any help... Dustin

Old 07-26-2009 | 08:50 AM
vabear
Professional
Default Issues

If the alternator was going south I would expect a battery light ICON and maybe a electrical whine from the engine compartment. I would first take off the battery cables from the battery, clean both the posts and terminals and maybe lube the area with white Vaseline or buy some of the felt donuts at a parts store to go over the battery post and under the cable.

Old 07-26-2009 | 09:10 AM
chopper
Veteran

The non-starting/cranking problem might be the ignition switch failing.
The abrupt slowdown could be the dreaded "limp mode". This is what the transmission does when there's a problem to keep from destroying itself and to make sure the driver doesn't ignore the problem.
Here's a link that can help.
http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

Old 07-27-2009 | 11:55 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

From 1996 thru 2000 minivans, there has been an ignition switch problem not only for starting , but also for a transmission loosing power at the tcm. causing limp in.

Quick Reply: Issue with veh starting and 2nd possible related issue, more in comments