Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 Grand Door locks going nuts with key at Run

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:11 PM
drewc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Grand Door locks going nuts with key at Run

OK...
First the Radio stopped working altogether. At the same time the Dome Lights, Headlights, and Door Locks all stopped functioning unless the key was in the Run position. The IOD fuse was bad. I replaced it. I thought I was done...

Since replacing the IOD Fuse I have a new problem: The door locks on all doors work exactly as expected with RKE or the switch on either front door when the key is not in the ignition, except the lift gate - it only un/locks with the key.

With the key in the ignition the door locks on both sliding doors go nuts. They constantly try to lock, only lock - BBBBbbbRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

It takes anywheres from three to ten seconds for the locking to begin. It stops if the door is opened (of course). Each door is individually effected i.e. either door can be open and the other continues to exhibit the symptom.

I imagine that the lift gate not working at all is a symptom of the same problem.

The BCM is relatively new and has the flash update.

Somebody? Anybody?
I need help.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:51 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

You may want to replace the sliding door ajar switches and reck. As far as the liftgate, remove the panel and inspect for a loose wire or bad actuator.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:19 AM
drewc

I can certainly try your suggestions but, while it is not impossible, it would be surprising to discover that both door switches failed at the same time.

Is there anything that is common between them that could affect only these two switches.

For example, if the Lift Gate has a bad ground could that cause the sliding door locks to fail?

Old 08-14-2009, 01:53 PM
drewc

Update: I am even more confused!

I removed this statement and created a new question from it since, while possibly related, it is a different issue.

Last edited by drewc; 08-21-2009 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: 96 Grand Door locks going nuts with key at Run