Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 03:14 PM
JB_boston
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Brake Issues

Since I had the car, I have had brake problems. They were constantly squeeking and grinding. I would bring it to the dealer and they would tell me that there is nothing wrong with them. The rear calipers siezed - the calipers, rotors and pads were replaced. At the same time, I was informed that the front pads had only 3% remaining on them and that they and the rotors would have to be replaced, at my expense. They were replaced but still squeek just like they did prior to the last failure.....There is nothing wrong though........

Old 08-29-2009, 04:37 PM
kev2
Veteran

known problem ...... dealer's suck!

hopefully some can get a copy of this to you TSB# 05-006-08 ... 12/09/2008

if I get a copy I will add

Old 08-29-2009, 09:25 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-09-2009, 11:36 AM
betapaul

Wish that applied to the 09's...blah.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:07 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

TSB 05-004-09 does.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:12 PM
dakcuda
Default 08 caravan brakes

I had noticed a LOT of brake dust on the front wheels. I inspected the rotors and it looked like a LOT of wear for the low mileage. Recently the wife complained of noise from the front right brake. Upon inspection, the back side of the rotor had deep grooves and the pad was metal to metal. So what is one to do? I now have 25,000 miles on this vehicle. I just purchased a set of pads and 2 new rotors to the tune of $188. Do I replace them or hassle the dealer for replacement or reimbursement? I have also discovered that I am not alone with this problem. Would replacing the parts void any factory responsibly? Help.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:32 AM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're right, there are a lot more posts these days about premature brake pad wear on late model Caravans. But you actually have two issues going on (I think). If you're saying the inboard pad was metal to metal and the outside pad wasn't worn as badly, then you have a sticking caliper problem.

The inside pad always applies first and that pulls the outside pad towards the rotor. When you release the brakes, the caliper relaxes and the pads move out about 0.15." Yeah, they ride that close to the rotor all the time. But if the caliper pins are corroded or the grease inside the caliper housing has cooked, the caliper won't slide back to the relaxed position. Or, the pads are sticking. Either way, it's not good.

Since you're still under the 3/36,000, the dealer should cover the repair. They will NOT reimburse you for the parts you bought unless your vehicle was stranded and it was an emergency situation. Yours doesn't sound like that.

So just take it back to the dealer and have them do it under warranty. Then return the parts you bought. Focus on your big complaint first--the caliper is stuck. Then your second complaint--the pads wore out quickly. As for the dust, that argument won't get you very far at the dealer, so don't waste time on it. There's nothing they can do about the dust. That was a design choice made by Chrysler and it's really out of the dealer's hands. They have to use the parts that Chrysler provides.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:25 AM
dakcuda

Thanks for the advice, Rick. Since I had already purchased the parts and I will be going out of town Mon, I went ahead and replaced the rotors and new pads. The calipers were still lubed and moved freely. Both pads were worn pretty well, the inside pad more so. I just ran out of time and had to move quickly.

Do the rear disc brakes have the same problem, or is it limited to the fronts?

Thanks again.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:34 PM
ningys

according to my dealer, it is an knowing issue. the caliper can not bounce back. i smell smoke in the back tire in highway. drive to dealer and changed the back brake system under warranty.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:15 PM
24sam
Default 2008 dodge caravan brakes.HUGE PROBLEM

My father just missed warranty on brakes..12,089 miles had to have all 4 brake pads replaced and rotors machined. Asked dealer if there was as problem with 2008's no,no nothing. I google 2008 dodge caravan brakes and there are all sorts of diff. links. Follow advice from one of blogs and call call national customer service reps says no recalls or service calls on brakes related to 2008 but since he was so close to warranty she felt they would take care of him. well 1 wk later the rep. handling this case said sorry bought they help him because according to dealership brakes were defective due to rust and corrosion due to lack of use!!!!!!!!!!!! well I was speechless and said thats crazy , sorry they have to go by what the dealer said. Well thats what call REAL customer service . I am now waiting for dealership to call and explain how they didnt notice this problem after 4-5 service vivits with them and thier 5 STAR service and on 2 visits brakes were looked at 1not more tha n 3 months before. Disgusted by total lack care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Brake Issues