Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Airborne Sparty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick,
I just joined the Forum, and read your 12/7/2009 post about the calipers sticking on the 2008 Caravans. We have about 50,000 miles on our 2008 Grand Caravan and we have heard a "groan" coming from the right front wheel, when we've braked, and when we creep before accelerating. A mechanic who has an excellent reputation, inspected all four brakes, and said they all looked good. He took it for a ride, heard the noise, and checked the temperature with a "temp gun" and noticed that all four rotors read about the same temperature. He suggested the wife drive it on the expressway on her way from work (about 25 miles), and bring it over to the shop immediately. He once again read the temperatures of the four rotors and once again said they were all reading very close, and not much variance. Perhaps I will have to take all four rotors off and check the inside of the rotor for unusual wear. I thought perhaps that Chrysler might have had a warranty issue on this, but so far haven't found this.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:31 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
I would try using ceramic brake pads. That may help.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:02 PM
kwanza

I have had similar issues with brake wear as well. Today's issue just made me so mad I had to create an account on this forum to vent. After just replacing the pads and having the rotors turned, I just had one crack.

Dam cheapo rotor cracked into two pieces at the hub. I have never heard of anything like this latest problem.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:35 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
Its okay to vent, But keep it clean. Thats the first time I have heard that too. Maybe the rotor was cut too thin?

Old 09-07-2011, 12:11 PM
kwanza

The rotor was within specs for safe operation. My mechanic had never seen a rotor crack as well after working in the industry for 37 years. He was astonished as well. I had to replace the rotor on the driverside, while the one on the passenger side was still good. It's one thing to have premature pad wear, or an AC line fail, but something like this is cause for concern. This is the vehicle my pregnant wife drives with my 3 year old as the passenger.

It turns out that the crack was only on the hub, and was still in one piece. I would have taken a picture, but I did not have my phone.

My 06 Silverado went 117K on stock rotors and pads and I just replaced them this year.

Last edited by kwanza; 09-07-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Brake Issues