Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 03:57 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake problem

My parent's 02 Caravan has about 138K on it and the rear left brake keeps making this clunking noise. It only does this when it has been driven for a while and gets louder. It feels like it is grabbing. We have had this worked on at least 3 times and it gets better but the problem is never resolved. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:41 AM
circumventor
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

culd be allot of thngs like crakced backing plate arund mounting bolts or at the ancor pin, maybe somthing isn't put tagether rite cuz it mite be that it kept going back tagether wrong. i seen allot of guys mix up primary and seconary shoes. assum no sines of wheel cyl leaks?

Old 11-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Kevioll
Rookie

I just did the rear brakes on mine and then i started getting this clunking noise. turns out one of the new drums was warped. try swapping the drums left & right and see if the noise follows. assuming you have drums and not discs

Old 11-14-2009, 01:50 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had a chance to have them take a look at the advised problems or solutions, but I did get a nice long list of all the different things they have had done.

April 2009:
All brakes, front new, replace rear brake shoes and leaking wheel cylinders and machine drums and replace spring kit.
1 Break shoe
2 HYD Cylinder
1 HDWR Kit
Fluid added
Brake Cleaned
1 Roloc Disc

September 2009:
Left Rear Wheel Cylinder Hanging up, front Rotors warped. Verify and Inspect: 2 Problems found, Replace left Rear Wheel Cylinder and Clean and Bleed Rear Brakes, Turn front break Rotors and sand pads.

Obviously one of the two if not both are incompetent. They both replaced the same part and had the same problem after the parts were replaced, plus one said brakes were new yet the other claimed that the rotors were warped.

Yes it has rear drums.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:07 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

once shoes have been contaminated with brake fluid, they must be replaced. otherwise they will grab and lockup very easily.

Quick Reply: Brake problem