Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

FOB suddenly stopped working in 10 Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 01:49 PM
graceofayak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOB suddenly stopped working in 10 Caravan

My FOB stopped working all of a sudden for my caravan. I can unlock the doors but get a bad key error when I try to start the van. Nothing has happened to the key or the van, so I am clueless on how this happened. Does anybody got any suggestions on what could cause a FOB to suddenly stop working and what I can do to fix it?

Old 07-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It happens, not sure why. But unfortunately most of the time a new key is required and not cheap. Do you have another key for the vehicle and does it work?

Old 07-11-2012, 03:52 AM
lovvorn
Banned
Default My 2010 gcv quit a while back

Pop open the key pad replace # 2032. look on back side of rubber cover & apply silicone lub to the carbon bowls & battery contacts that touch the gold contacts to operate everything. will be good as new . Lovvorn

Old 07-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the key fob works for unlocking the doors, the battery is ok. The transponder in the key has failed and the key will most likely need replacing.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:10 PM
KenShelton

This is my 4th Dodge Grand Caravan, but may be my last. The RKE system has to be the worst design ever, and very expensive to resolve when the poor design by Chrystler malfunctions. I cannot believe that they charge the amount of money that they do to their loyal customers to fix poorly made, poorly designed, poorly serviced products that leave their customers stranded. My key malfunctioning may have cost me more than the vehicle by leaving me stranded. In my opinion, they should pay me to replace the key and beg my forgiveness.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:26 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KenShelton
This is my 4th Dodge Grand Caravan, but may be my last. The RKE system has to be the worst design ever, and very expensive to resolve when the poor design by Chrystler malfunctions. I cannot believe that they charge the amount of money that they do to their loyal customers to fix poorly made, poorly designed, poorly serviced products that leave their customers stranded. My key malfunctioning may have cost me more than the vehicle by leaving me stranded. In my opinion, they should pay me to replace the key and beg my forgiveness.

Original owner? Year Model? Mileage? Did you buy a warranty to go past the factory warranty?

Old 10-06-2013, 08:10 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Where have you been? keys with integrated key fobs has always been this expensive for any make and model.

I am sorry to tell you that Chrysler keys on newer cars might be one of the cheapest to replace out of all manufacturers...

Last edited by steak59; 10-06-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:27 AM
KenShelton

The fact that integrated key fobs have always been expensive and that Chrystler makes the cheapest doesn't change my opinion of Chrystler's decision to make an inferior product that has about $20.00 worth of components and charges too much for it. What you are saying is that all manufacturers of this POS charge more than they are worth and all of them can leave the customer stranded. I think I will go back to restoring older classics that actually run.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:19 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The fact that integrated key fobs have always been expensive and that Chrystler makes the cheapest doesn't change my opinion of Chrystler's decision to make an inferior product that has about $20.00 worth of components and charges too much for it. What you are saying is that all manufacturers of this POS charge more than they are worth and all of them can leave the customer stranded. I think I will go back to restoring older classics that actually run.
Well, try Mercedes, almost $350 for a key, and you have to wait 3 days for it to be shipped from head quarter...

It is just the way it is, things breaks. If you want to talk about how much it cost to make the key. Guess how much it cost to make the $100 Nike shoe you just bought?

When I started working on cars back then, I asked a Master mechanic what brand does he like? his answer was "They are all junk."

Now I know what he meant and starting to agree with him. lol

Old 10-07-2013, 10:10 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by steak59
what brand does he like? his answer was "They are all junk."
Yep. Just pick one you like and drive it.

Quick Reply: FOB suddenly stopped working in 10 Caravan