Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Rad fan wont shut off

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Saabu2
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rad fan wont shut off

just did a crap load of work on my 99 Sport 3.8L (struts etc, plugs and wires, thermostat and coolant swap, s belt, downstream 02 sensor. we have had a blizzard roll in and suddenly the rad fan wont shut off when the engine is turned off. i had inquired about whether this vehicle has a fan switch but was told it does not, so i'm assuming its a stuck relay somewhere. any advice is appreciated.
TIA
Wayne in Calgary
99 Sport Caravan
00 Grand Caravan 3.3L
87 Saab SPG
91 900S

Old 12-06-2009, 11:51 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

If you remove the air filter box from the van, you will see the fan relay on the frame rail. Replace it. Also there was a TSB to replace the relay and have the PCM updated.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Saabu2
Amateur
Default fan relay and PCM update

once i purchase the relay from the dealer and replace it myself, does the dealer have to do the PCM update or does it occur automatically? i'm not familiar with the procedure here. Oh, for reference what is the date on the TSB?
thanks alot,
Wayne

Old 12-07-2009, 06:12 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

The dealer needs to do the update, on the PCM. You can do the update at a later time.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Saabu2
Amateur
Default replaced fan relay

problem solved for now. got an aftermarket part for $85 vs. dealer cost of $125.
the job was a bit of a pain to do - luckily just the top 10 mm screw on the airbox allows one to pull it sideways and lift it out and then u can see the relay. an 8mm socket is needed to detach the old relay from the frame rail and its awkward to get at. i struggled for awhile getting the relay unplugged - tried shooting in penetrant etc then finally put water pump pliers on the wire end, squeezed and pulled the relay off. before mounting i put dielectric grease on the back as suggested in another post. as soon as it was mounted i re-connected the battery to make sure the fan wasnt going to come back on. about an hour to get it out and 45 mins to re assemble everything. you dont have to get under the van to do this job.
Wayne in Calgary

Quick Reply: Rad fan wont shut off