Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

(Transmission Solenoid) -- Is It Leaking? Where Is it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:13 PM
baylanger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92dak5.24x4
...The transmission cooler hoses are directly above the solenoid pack and frequently leak... therefor making it look like the solenoid pack is leaking.
What type of liquid is the transmission coolant passing in the hoses that you refer? If it ain't transmission oil passing in the hoses that why not tell the people to check if the cooler of the leaking liquid is red or not? Transmission oil is red while coolant ain't red and ... certainly doesn't smell the same as well.

PB

Old 03-23-2010, 10:45 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
When the radiator side tanks leaks coolant into the transmission, the fluid is a milky pink. Transmission fluid will be red or a light brown.The comment that was made,from someone who thought they had a solenoid pack that was leaking.92dak5.24x4 was saying to ck the hose clamps first before replacing the solenoid pack. So if you think the solenoid pack is leaking,ck the hose clamps first.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:55 PM
baylanger

Originally Posted by 92dak5.24x4
look for 2 black hoses (hoses are a rubber material with 5/16" inside diameter and approximately 1/2" outside diameter. There are 2 of these hoses. They go from the transmission to the radiator. (A radiator is a heat exchange device that is full of coolant..aka antifreeze, and located in the front of the vehicle behind the front bumper). The solenoid pack is directly below the transmission cooling hoses very near to the transmission dipstick. There is an electrical plug on the top of this item that has an 8mm bolt. 8mm refers to the head diameter in which one would use a wrench or socket to loosen or tighten
True and wrong. There are 3 radiators in the car :

1) coolant radiator (aka antifreeze like you wrote)
2) transmission radiator (transmission oil to air radiator cooler)
3) A/C Condenser (works like a radiator).

The two transmission hoses connect to the transmission OIL cooler radiator, not the coolant radiator.

The two above hoses if they do leak, it will be oil not coolant aka antifreeze. I just want to make this clear for everyone because to me it wasn't clear at all.

PB

Old 03-23-2010, 11:32 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

True on some cars and minivans. Let find out what year are you asking about? The early minivans only had the radiator tank as part of the cooler and the hoses going to the tansmission. That change in 1996 thru 1998, because there was a TSB to replace the crossover cooler lines and move the cooler lines to a aux cooler in front of the radiator.The PT and Sebrings use a aux cooler and the Sebring also has P/S cooler as well.But you'll find most of the dodge cars and minivans use the radiator to cool off the transmission fluid. Its rare for the radiator to leak coolant into the transmission,but it does happen.If the hoses are leaking 99.9% of time its transmission fluid. Are the hoses on your car or van going to a aux cooler or the radiator?

Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 AM
baylanger

Originally Posted by master tech
True on some cars and minivans. Let find out what year are you asking about? The early minivans only had the radiator tank as part of the cooler and the hoses going to the tansmission. That change in 1996 thru 1998, because there was a TSB to replace the crossover cooler lines and move the cooler lines to a aux cooler in front of the radiator.The PT and Sebrings use a aux cooler and the Sebring also has P/S cooler as well.But you'll find most of the dodge cars and minivans use the radiator to cool off the transmission fluid. Its rare for the radiator to leak coolant into the transmission,but it does happen.If the hoses are leaking 99.9% of time its transmission fluid. Are the hoses on your car or van going to a aux cooler or the radiator?
Ahhh, now I get "the point". Mine is Caravan 2002, I have the service manual that's where I took the info.

If its the hoses, prior to remove them do I need to flush the transmission oil or just let the car rest a few hours for the oil to drip back in the transmission pan? Otherwise, what's the best way to flush that oil?!?

I went to a garage they guy told me its the solenoid leaking (the guy didn't even open the hood). It said 220$ for the solenoid + 3 hours to change total ~ 400$. I didn't ask if he was replacing the oil with new one or not. But in his price he didn't mention price for oil, so I'm guessing he wanted my money big time.

If its the solenoid, do I need to flush the oil prior to replace it or again just let the car rest for a little while?!

I only have 71Km on it : - (

Thank you, I'm glad I found this forum!

PB

Last edited by baylanger; 03-24-2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Re-writing better words :-/
Old 03-24-2010, 07:00 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

you only have 71km or 71000km? when you remove the hoses ya going to get some fluid out. how much all depends. if they are rubber hoses ya can use a *visegrip* but they make one specifically for rubber hoses. it has a rounded ends that dont bite into anything you use it on. if u loose just refill it when done.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:22 AM
baylanger

Originally Posted by DodgeCaravan2010SXT
you only have 71km or 71000km? when you remove the hoses ya going to get some fluid out. how much all depends. if they are rubber hoses ya can use a *visegrip* but they make one specifically for rubber hoses. it has a rounded ends that dont bite into anything you use it on. if u loose just refill it when done.
71000Km, it was late!

If there's still lots of oil left in the radiator, how am I supposed to replace the hoses with new ones? I can block the oil with the "visegrip" at 1 end but still, I need to remove the hose?!

PB

Old 03-24-2010, 08:14 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

sorry did not realize ya wanted to replace the hoses. if thats the cause just dump the oil out into a oil pan. replace and then refill.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:58 PM
map79z28

I had the same thing happen recently. I just tightened down the hose clamps and replaced one - without disconnecting the hose. A little tricky but can be done. Also you need to remove the air cleaner (where the air filter is) to have access to the hose connections. After that, I had no leak.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:25 PM
baylanger

Originally Posted by map79z28
I had the same thing happen recently. I just tightened down the hose clamps and replaced one - without disconnecting the hose. A little tricky but can be done. Also you need to remove the air cleaner (where the air filter is) to have access to the hose connections. After that, I had no leak.
Are you all saying that the hose leaking is mainly due to the clamp and all it needs is a new clamp?! If so, now I get it.

But if I do need to replace the hose, I do need to flush the oil... right? I ask again : will most of the oil drip back in the transmission oil pan after a few minutes/hours?

I'm still not sure if its the hose of the solenoid pack that is leaking but it does look like its the solenoid pack. Do I need to flush or not the oil to replace the solenoid pack?!?! Nobody seems to be able to give me a clear answer.

Thanx,
Pierre B.

Last edited by baylanger; 03-26-2010 at 02:34 PM.

Quick Reply: (Transmission Solenoid) -- Is It Leaking? Where Is it?