Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

(Transmission Solenoid) -- Is It Leaking? Where Is it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you replace a solinoid pack, you need to make sure the area around it is clean before you pull it off or dirt falls into the valve body / transmission pan. When I do a solinoid pack, I always do a transmission service also to make sure it is as free from dirt as possible. Nothing special is needed to be done when replacing the cooler lines and it is usually a loose clamp that causes them to leak.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:45 PM
map79z28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my case, the leak was loose hose connections with the radiator. Once I tightened them down, I had no leak. I replaced one clamp because as I was tightening it, I could tell that it was slipping teeth. If you replace the hoses (I didnt), I would use vice grips to clamp the hoses shut (gently) as you make the hose replacement. You wont lose much fluid that way. Of course, do this when the engine/tranny has cooled. I have not replaced the solenoid pack, so I cannot comment on that.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:05 PM
baylanger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to remove the solenoid pack on my Caravan 2002. Before proceeded, do I need to remove any transmission oil?

PB

Old 03-28-2010, 06:05 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Always put a drain pan under the van, you will lose some oil, but not much.

Quick Reply: (Transmission Solenoid) -- Is It Leaking? Where Is it?