Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Sideview Mirror disassembly - 2008 Grand Caravan SXT

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011 | 08:04 PM
Mad_Dog

Same problem,

where do I get replacement LED Module?

Thanks

Old 01-31-2011 | 10:05 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

You can purchase it from your local dealer

Old 01-31-2011 | 08:15 PM
Mad_Dog

Many Thanks for your help!

Old 02-08-2011 | 11:13 AM
luvmadodge
|
Default LED-Mirror

I was wondering how you made out in your LED repairs and what the cost was for replacement LED's. They hit me for like, $60+ as I recall. EACH!! Nonetheless, I really like the LED mirrors and believe they improve the safety factor.

Old 02-25-2011 | 08:32 PM
Mad_Dog

I had to do some searches. At first my dealer said these are not available and I have to replace the whole mirror. Believe it or not it would have been something about $450 each. after some extensive browsing the internet I found by chance an ebay seller wanting $69 each plus postage. I went again to my dealer and showed him a picture of the part. "Oh yes, we have them here $89 each." By the way it was the same person who told me a couple of days ago that these are parts of the whole mirror....
Now I ordered them on ebay, and thanks to your excellent description built them into the mirror.

The positioning of the signal turn lights in the outer lower edge of the mirror is a no go. In this position it very likely to be touched and damaged in narrow places. With this the replacement would be fair to be something about $ 10 to 15 each.

But these are only minor issues and I love my Dodge. The 4.0 Engine is great. We had 25mpg on our last holiday trip around the great lakes. With 4 adults, 2 children and all the stuff in the back and below the seats. That is what I call versatility.

Old 03-12-2012 | 02:49 PM
meccano9
Default easier way to replace LED unit on outside mirror

It is very easy to replace the vulnerable LED light unit on the side of those outside mirrors without all the problems. Only tool is a sharp utility knife (use one of those spare blades you have been saving).
Notice the shape of your replacement part -the front (inside) end has a narrow lens and a big hook which is used to snap the unit into place (and is invisible when installed). The rear (outer) end has a thicker lens with an LED in the butt end.
Also notice the two little tabs on the top edge which will need to be involved in the removal of the old unit. Then note the rear end of the plastic housing (grey plastic, the part which will be hidden when installed.). This moulded part (which includes the big hook on the opposite end, ends in a tab the height of the unit (about 3/8") which holds the rear end of the assembly in place when installed. We will remove the old unit by cutting off this tab. Using the utility knife, CAREFULLY (so as not to injure yourself) slowly cut this tab thru-and-thru on the installed assembly. (Thru the space between the front and back halves of the big mirror covers, be they black, chrome or colored) When we get cut all the way thru the tab we can (with a little prying and commentary - and some downward prying along the long upper edge of the unit to provide clearance for the aforementioned little tabs), remove the old unit from the mirror, unplug it and we are ready to install. Carefully plug in the new unit, tuck in the wire, place the rear (outer) edge of the new unit where we cut off the old one, and snap (the hook end of the ) new unit into place.

This takes about 2 minutes (after I had spent 2 hrs trying to deceide how to remove the mirror, I finally got a light strong enough to look inside and see this easy method !!

Now, if anyone can tell me how to remove the glass mirror, I'd still like to know !

Old 06-24-2024 | 05:52 PM
kontoja

Quick Reply: Sideview Mirror disassembly - 2008 Grand Caravan SXT