Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1995 Dodge Caravan Wiper Relay

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:41 AM
MjdTexan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
sounds like some fun times there. What are you going to be redoing?
My girlfriends jealous ex boyfriend took a bat to every window and light lens on the car and rammed the front end of the car. I happen to have another car just like it that I bought for the headliner insert. I am going to take all the glass out of that car and put it in this car plus the front clip. I will repaint the car white and this time I want a total white interior. I also want a new rear end as this one is like a 243 or something like that. Much to high of a gear for the type of driving I do in the car.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:55 AM
golden350x
Default update

I've got a 95 caravan... Same bcm clicking thing, and more often than not, the windshield wiper will run for a minute than cut out; restarting minutes later to travel a few more inches or back to neutral. So I figured there must be a relay problem much like mjdtexan. I have tested the motor by running it out of the system with it hooked up directly to the battery and it ran like nuts. Looked at the electro magnetic coils and they look fine (they have two marks in them, but they look too uniform to have happened while spinning plus there are no matching marks on the magent: I'm guessing they come from the factory like that to keep it balanced). I tested the wire to make sure there was current to the motor: fine there. Naturally, I assumed that the ground was crummy, so I ran a jumper from a point on the engine to the motor silver backing part. To say this didn't work isn't entirely true, it tended to work better, but cut out after a little while anyhow. When the wiper's are turned on, and I tap on the motor, it spins and the wipers swish away. Diagnosis?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:01 AM
golden350x

lol. The ******* boyfriend smashing ****-- classic story why someone is renovating their car. If I had a dime for every time I heard that one... I'd have a dime. is it a 400 or 360? oh, and be ADD like me and talk about both things

Old 06-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The most common issues with the old ones was the ground strap getting corroded and the park switch going bad. If the motor runs and doesn't park, go check the park switch. If the motor doesn't run at all, check for power and ground, if you have both, then the brushes are worn and it needs a motor.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:29 AM
MjdTexan

Originally Posted by golden350x
lol. The ******* boyfriend smashing ****-- classic story why someone is renovating their car. If I had a dime for every time I heard that one... I'd have a dime. is it a 400 or 360? oh, and be ADD like me and talk about both things
Its a 360 car. I've had it since I was 16. I am 42 now. If I hadnt had it so long I would scrap it but its part of the family (me, dog, girlfriend-in that order)

Old 06-03-2010, 10:37 AM
golden350x

lol, at least you got your priorities straightened out. Tizzy, What is the park switch?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

It's a switch inside the motor that disconnects power when the wipers are "parked". If the switch is making poor contact, the wipers stop when you turn the switch off because it has no power to it.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:20 AM
golden350x
Smile Good News!

I took the motor out of the housing and just took some 800 grit to all of the contact points (because I wasn't sure which contact was the park switch and the motor is running like a new motor again! It so awesome being able to take the magic van out while it's raining again: it happens a lot here in PA. I was so excited, I just went and drove around in the rain for the hell of it.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

sweet!!

Old 06-05-2010, 08:34 PM
gyork27205

i have 1996 V6 3.8 grand caravan ES. I have replaced the fuses, relays, put a new radiator in, thermostat, jumped the radiator fans and worked for a little while but now they won't come on and they are not locked up. Van is running hot and boils over. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks

Quick Reply: 1995 Dodge Caravan Wiper Relay