Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2001 Caravan 3.3 SE

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Erik Kuijvenhoven
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Caravan 3.3 SE

So something in my front left strut assembly has got a terrible squeak.
Every time I go over bumps sometimes even small ones it makes the sound. I cheaked the strut bounce and it doesn't have any bounce in it the strut. So I know it isn't worn out I sprayed fluid film where ever I could get access But the squeak is still there... is there a way to fix this without replacing both front shocks ???? Thanks

Old 03-09-2010, 10:45 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

If its at top of the strut, it could be the bearing. Which means the strut would need to come apart.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Erik Kuijvenhoven
Professional

There are bearings in the top ??? I dint know that is there any way to grease it just to shut it up ? Thanks

Old 03-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There was a tsb for a strut area squeek, I guess it depends on when it makes the noise. Over bumps is usually not the struts. When you hit a pot hole and you get a clunk, it is usually the sway bar links. If it is body twist, like swearving back and forth, it is usually the sway bar bushings. Both very common. Turning like parking lot manuvers getting a creek can be strut jounce bumpers or strut top bearings and no, they are not greaseable.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:43 AM
2002ACRNEON
Rookie

Sometimes, control arm and sway bar mounting (frame) bushing have the rubber inserts "squeak" from what I would think is a stick-slip (stickion) condition. This normally is more pronounced in cold (vice warmer) weather. My cheap fix is to spray silicon into the rubber bushings. It's always quieted the squeaky rubbers in my case. The official solution would probably be to replace the offending bushing (if it is the rubber to metal causing the squeak).

Old 03-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Erik Kuijvenhoven
Professional

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
There was a tsb for a strut area squeek, I guess it depends on when it makes the noise. Over bumps is usually not the struts. When you hit a pot hole and you get a clunk, it is usually the sway bar links. If it is body twist, like swearving back and forth, it is usually the sway bar bushings. Both very common. Turning like parking lot manuvers getting a creek can be strut jounce bumpers or strut top bearings and no, they are not greaseable.

I have replaced the sway bar bushings and it dint fix it ... can I replace just the one strut that's squeaking or is there any way to fix it ?? also is a alignment allways necessary when a strut is replaced?? Thanks

Old 03-15-2010, 06:56 AM
2002ACRNEON
Rookie

My father has a 2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan and the right rear shock squeaks. He turns the radio up. :-)

Between the 1993 Grand Caravan (with eccentric camber bolts) and the 2005 Caravan, Chrysler dropped the camber bolts where the strut is attached to the steering knuckle - net build configuration. I don't know about an '02.

So, yes, you can replace the strut without doing an alignment assuming the replacement strut has the same tolerences as the OEM strut. Some replacements have a slot and hole vice two holes. Not knowing what type of strut you'll get, you can spray paint (with a high contrast color) the knuckle/strut joint before disassembly - let it dry. You'll see the "alignment" between the strut and knuckle. Use this reference when aligning the new strut to the knuckle. Then monitor your tire wear for any differences.

And you could if you wanted, replace one strut - but I'd replace both if it was my vehicle

Old 03-15-2010, 10:16 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Tell your dad,its not the shock that squeaks. Its the upper control arm assy. If you want the TSB for the control arm, send me a pm.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Erik Kuijvenhoven
Professional

Well I talked to my mechanic he said that for 600 he will replace both struts inc a alignment...... Next paycheck....

Quick Reply: 2001 Caravan 3.3 SE